Gateway introduces netbook powered by AMD and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Gateway (subsidiary of Acer) has introduced its LT3100 “netbook,” which steps outside conformity and makes use of an AMD processor. Anyone can tell you the line in the sand between netbooks and notebooks is fading, and the LT3100 too, embarks beyond conventional boundaries. While its modestly petite 11.6” (16:9) WXGA LED display might yield the aura of a netbook, the LT3100 can take it a step further, as a sample configuration demonstrates in the press release.

It shows the spec sheet of an LT3103u, which features an AMD Athlon 64 L110 CPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, an ATI Radeon X1270 GPU, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, multi-in-1 card reader, 802.11 b/g capabilities, a web cam, three USB 2.0 ports, a 6-cell Li-ion battery and two stereo speakers. The Gateway LT3100 weighs about 3.14lbs, ships with Windows Vista Basic SP1 and a standard one-year warranty. Its base asking price is $399.99.

Permalink to story.

Does Gateway have its organizational problems worked out, or is it still in Bankruptcy.

Luckily, they got rid of eMachines, but do they not still have a lot of work to do.

Their significant price drops in most computers tells me all is not well at Gateway.

Maybe they found the 'missing link' between netbooks and notebooks?

That's good news, its cheaper than some netbooks with inferior specs and adds a bit of variety to a market flooded with Atom +crappy G945 clones.

I'm more shocked by the Vista than the AMD chip, but thats just me.

Will this thing be compatible with Windows 7 out of the box?

I just bought a Gateway netbook at Best Buy. I was told there would be no problem updating to Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back