TechSpot

Gateway Laptop Needs Help

By Rustycoconutz
Dec 18, 2008
  1. My brother just recently gave me a Gateway Laptop, and it runs really slow. I did a disk defragment on it and then I tried to do a disc clean up and when I do that it just restarts. He has so many files under the disc clean up when it tries to clean it up it just restarts! I need help, I really want to clean up this computer. I would just reload Windows Xp on it, but I don't got the disk to do it. Can anyone Help me out there?

2. noorman

noorman TS Rookie Posts: 24

to enable you to see what 's going on, you need to disable the automatic reboot sequence.
    that 's to be found in My Computer - rightclick / Properties / Advanced TAB / Startup & Recovery panel / Settings button
    Then untick the box in front of "Automatically restart"

Then try to recreate the problem; you 'll get a blue screen (BSOD) with some info in it.

Please post what 's in the top part, some numbers and some text ( a few lines in total )

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.