Gateway M-Series will not power on

OCSS_Andrew

I just replaced the Motherboard today for a customer, it worked just great! I went into the bios and recalibrated the battery. Problem is that I think it burnt out the laptop because the laptop will not power on at all, just like before I replaced it.

What I ment was that I think calibration caused the burn-out of the board

Laptop motherboards can fail quickly. Was this a new or used board. I really doubt that a battery calibration would damage the motherboard. Have you tried starting the laptop with the battery out?

Yes, and plugged the plugs in different outlets just to rule out the possibility. New board according to best rated ebay seller.

Did you use any thermal pads? If laptop motherboards are going to fail, they usually do it fast. I always buy used tested motherboards from trusted sellers on EBay. Electronics likes to be burned-in over time, for reliability

The CPU/GPU Heatsink/fan that came with the the computer came with those pads on it. I just applied some paste to ensure it from overheating. What do you mean by burnt in over time?

You used thermal paste on the pads? It will cause over-heating by acting to insulate the pad from the chips... By burning-in I mean the good used boards are more reliable that a new board is, because it has run for a good long time, seasoning the parts. I have installed used boards in all my laptop repairs over the last few years, with only 2 boards received DOA, no others have failed. Sounds like your board just failed for no real reason

No no I didn't use paste with the thermal pads. I had put paste on the cpu since it didnt have a pad, the gpu had a pad and I had left it with no paste.

I just think it was just a bad board they gave me. I mean it cant be a good board if it dies after 4 hours of use. im just glad I caught it before giving it to a customer to use.

Okay good... Yes those boards can fail that quick. I let my laptops run for 3 days before I give them back, if possible

Unfortunately that's not possible given the time the customer expects it back and the time the bosses prefer to get things done in a timely manner.

Ha ha, well its different if your the boss of the business! I'm just a tech trying to get his first year under his belt in this field. Not to say I don't know what I'm doing but on the first year of being in it in a professional level.

Back