Gateway MT6451 CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

Okay, Im currently sitting in my Adv. PC Repair class and was just introduced with the notion of upgrading my CPU in my notebook.

I found one that i want, i would order 2gb of RAM with it...

Im not really sure about the mobile sockets, I know it will void my warranty so i might wait, but either way, it be a quick upgrade, cheaper than buying a new notebook. And it would breathe new life into my sad little notebook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104804

so will it work mobile gurus? (im working on learning lol)

You would definiately void any warranty... If you want the most for the least, try upping the memory to the max first

As Tmagic mentioned upgrading the memory is less risky as there isn't a big change in power consumption or the thermal envelope of the system. It's cheap right now & it shouldn't void your warranty as a memory upgrade is considered by most computer manufacturers as a user serviceable endeavor.

Changing the processor on the other hand could mean damaging the whole system if its cooling system cannot cope with the extra heat output of the new part & that of course if the upgrade even works. You'd have to be sure the laptop has the proper socket, the proper FSB & provides the proper voltage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back