Gateway t1625 Audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a clean install of Windows Xp Professional Sp2.
I have no sound and I do not know what to do because the Windows Xp installed the driver automatically. When you look at system in the device driver on the control panel the message says that the device is unable to start.
It says sigmatel hgh definition audio codec with a yellow exclammation point next to it.

Audio Driver- Gateway t1625

I am not sure if I was understood when I made my last thread, but, I installed windows xp after wiping vista all the way out.
The driver was automatically installed and I am getting an error with that one so I went to Gateways site and they only give drivers for Vista.
I, then, installed the driver that they recommended and now I am still getting the same error message.
I am at my wits end and I know that the driver is out there but I cannot locate it.
I done this on another Gateway t1625 and there was a post on here regarding a clean install of xp from vista and they directed me to softpedia and I cannot even find the frigging thread to do it again.
I installed the xp because my vista gave me lots of headache and I had problems so I reinstalled the xp again and now I cannot locate the driver again.
Please help!!!!!!!!

Gateway t1625

I am not sure if this helps but I am wondering is there a way I can find the windows xp download for the driver:
IDT/SigmaTel Audio Driver Version: 6.10.5365.0

As you now obviously know, your computer mobo site says that 'This file is not compatible with the version of Windows installed on the computer that you are using right now.'

They made a computer that LOVES, absolutely LOVES, Vista, and doesn't have, from them, an XP driver for what you want.

This you would have found out, and should have found out, before you bought the darned thing!

So, you must now determine the chipsets on your computer motherboard and see if anyone else in the universe is making XP drivers for your chipsets that can work on your computer.

Certainly, there must be 'IDT/SigmaTel Audio Driver' downloads for XP somewhere.

Just, don't get hung up on that specific version.

gl :)

Gateway t1625 network drivers -- XP

I too wiped my T1625 and installed XP. I'm reloading all the software and drivers, but I'm kind of stuck. I figure the first think I need is the network drivers. Both the wireless and the Ethernet show as

I ran Belarc Advisor and it tells me that this is my network card:
Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Any tips for how to find this driver or a compatible one? I'm not all that computer savvy, but I'm sure I can get this thing working. I actually have two of the same computer. I have one still running Vista so that I can download drivers and all that and one that I've installed XP on and I'm trying to fix up.

I also am not real clear on how to use the device manager to check drivers and updates, so any tips there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am not sure if this helps but I am wondering is there a way I can find the windows xp download for the driver:
IDT/SigmaTel Audio Driver Version: 6.10.5365.0

tralston (and tollhaus as well)

This is what we want to do and why:
1. You've installed XP over Vista.
2. You're saying Gateway has no XP drivers for your Gateway model so you're having a problem with sound
3. You're missing the bigger picture: The drivers for the rest of the chipset are working now that doesn't mean they were intended to work with XP (or won't cause problems at some future time)
4. So for the best solution we want to find the drivers for the complete chipset (not simply sound)
5. I can see the t1625 uses the ATI RS690T chipset but that doesn't tell us the motherboard. And, for the ideal solution, we want the drivers that were released by motherboard vendor (which is using the ATI chipset)
6. So to attempt to id your motherboard
Click to download then run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Then (still under Preferences) click Report and uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report report in plain text. Check these items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

You can try the Gateway one here;

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=Sigmatel&st=kw.

If it doesn'tr work, Google ''IDT/SigmaTel Audio Driver' XP' and keep looking.

gl

my 2cents:
That addresses the symptom but not a larger problem that might be lurking. Problem with this "larger" problem of running on Vista chipset drivers
- No way to know they won't be a problem for XP (but you do know they are only intended and tested to work for Vista)
- You don't know how this larger, underlying problem may manifest itself later. e.g. you might get system crashes under certain scenarios with no indication it ties back to never switching back the chipset drivers

Again, i'd suggest trying to find the chipset drivers (not just sound drivers) for XP for YOUR motherboard

A friend put me on to "Belarc Advisor" before I installed XP. Here's what it says, does this help identify the Motherboard?

If not, I'll try the Everest Program tomorrow.

Main Circuit Board b
Board: GATEWAY Rev1.90.03
Serial Number: V7BVMHN1070C2F220X
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Gateway 90.03 09/27/2007

Thanks for the help

A friend put me on to "Belarc Advisor" before I installed XP. Here's what it says, does this help identify the Motherboard?

If not, I'll try the Everest Program tomorrow.

Main Circuit Board b
Board: GATEWAY Rev1.90.03
Serial Number: V7BVMHN1070C2F220X
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Gateway 90.03 09/27/2007

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately, no.

But i did find this link i think will help each of you id your motherboard so we can next go looking for chipset drivers.

I went to the Gateway site and ran their utility. Hopefully this helps.

For what it's worth, I have audio on mine. I'm looking for chipset and then Network and a few others. Thanks.

Here's what it told me:

Processor
(2)AMD #60f81, 2000 MHz
BIOS
GATEWA - 6040000 09/27/07
Memory
1662MB physical
90% free resources
Video
Graphics Adapter: ATI Radeon X1270
Screen Area/Colors: 1280x800 pixels, 16 million colors
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Drives
C:\ (NTFS) 227372MB total, 107723MB free
D:\ (NTFS) 11099MB total, 5609MB free
E:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
Network and Modem (modem) Agere Agere Systems HDA Modem
(net) Realtek Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
(net) Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Operating System Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 SP1 (Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1)
Original setup date: 3/20/2008
DirectX Version: 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
SWAP FILE DISABLED
File cache managed by Windows
Browser
MSIE 7.0; 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2
Proxy: No proxy set
HTTP level: direct 1.1, proxy 1.1
Scripting version: 5.7.0.6000
System
AMD HyperTransport Configuration (6/21/2006)
AMD Address Map Configuration (6/21/2006)
AMD DRAM and HyperTransport Trace Mode Configuration (6/21/2006)
AMD Miscellaneous Configuration (6/21/2006)
ATI I/O Communications Processor SMBus Controller (6/21/2006)
ATI I/O Communications Processor LPC Controller (6/21/2006)
ATI Technogies Inc ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver (11/2/2006)
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System (6/21/2006)
Microsoft High Definition Audio Controller (6/21/2006)
Microsoft High Definition Audio Controller (6/21/2006)
Microsoft Composite Battery (6/21/2006)
Microsoft UMBus Root Bus Enumerator (6/21/2006)
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller (6/21/2006)
ACPI Lid (6/21/2006)
ACPI Sleep Button (6/21/2006)
Direct Application Launch Button (6/21/2006)
PCI standard host CPU bridge (6/21/2006)
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge (6/21/2006)
PCI Express standard Root Port (6/21/2006)
PCI Express standard Root Port (6/21/2006)
Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver (6/21/2006)
ACPI x86-based PC (6/21/2006)

ran the everest program

Here's what it says about my motherboard:

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer GATEWAY
Version Rev1.90.03
Serial Number V7BVMHN1070C2F220X

Also attached the report as requested.

You'll find the following defined on the Gateway site for t1625
- Notebook Components
- Motherboard View
- Motherboard Specs

But there's nothing to help identify the actual motherboard itself. Some misc info
  • An MSI laptop as well as Dell Inspiron 1521 that, at least on quick look, use same internals
  • And if anyone else wants to continue searching, i found the AMD M690T/E Data Specs indicate: M690T is the same as RS690T (see below)
Code:
[B]Software Compatibility[/B]

The graphics driver for the M690T is fully compatible with all other ATI Radeon class graphics controllers from AMD. A single driver can support multiple graphics configurations across AMD’s product lines, including the ATI Radeon family 42437 AMD M690T/E Databook 3.07 © 2008 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 1-2 Proprietary M690E and the AMD chipset family. In addition, this driver compatibility allows the M690T to benefit immediately from AMD’s
software optimization and from the advanced Windows® XP and Windows Vista support available in the ATI Radeon family drivers.

[B][U][I]Note: In some reference documents, the M690T is referred to by its code name "RS690T," which signifies the same
device.[/I][/U][/B]

So, best that can offer is chipset drivers from AMD as not certain about motherboard (note chipset from mobo vendor can be same and in this case with no clear mobo vendor i'd suggest try the chipset drivers for XP)

Here's the list You'll find AMD M690T / SB600 XP 32 and 64 bit among them.

Someone report back on how they worked!

For those of you looking for XP sound drivers..

It just occurred to me.... and checking back now see tralston1 was running XP SP2!!

tollhaus you ran a report based on vista. Did you have XP SP2 or SP3 installed?

NOTE!!!!!: You need to have the Microsoft Hi-Def Audio Bus Controller installed (if a hi-def sound card driver doesn't provide its own Bus Controller)
==> The default MS bus controller comes as part of XP SP3 or in Vista
==> NOT the case for XP SP2

See this MS kb. Note you must first install version 1.0 before you install version 1.0a.. OR upgrade to XP SP3 and then try out your audio drivers

Well....

I'd say stick to 32-bit unless you have a specific reason to want 64 bit (and your CPU supports 64bit!) You can see if you're currently running a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows by Start->Run, enter sysdm.cpl. The General tab shows you the OS. Look for System Type x86 is 32 bit, ia64 is 64bit.

And to follow up on your earlier question re: using Vista drivers on XP
1. I can't tell you with 100% certainty whether it's OK or not OK to do this
2. BUT, i can tell you that, personally, i wouldn't want to be running Vista only drivers under XP
  • Note what we're calling "Vista" drivers here are drivers that are only certified and tested to work with Vista
  • That makes me lots less confident of what i'm using to run on. Which is very important if a problem occurs down the road (like blue screen crashes) (and those hard-to-figure out problems do happen from time-to-time) In such a case, I'd sure want to be confident in ruling out the underlying drivers as an XP/VISTA anomaly because they aren't tested and certified for XP.

As for other questions, some good (free) driver tools i'd recommend
DriverView
Creates a list of all installed driver files (and displays their version numbers, company, etc.). Note: it shows driver file version numbers. When you install a "driver" you install one or more driver files. The driver version number is not necessarily going to match the version number of each driver file (in fact they usually don't)

DriverMax
1. Creates a report of installed drivers (and lists driver version number)
2. Allows you to backup all your drivers. Very handy cuz should ever need reinstall XP you can reinstall all needed drivers from the backup instead of needing to hunt them all down on the web again.

Msc other stuff
To see driver version and/or driver file version number using Device Manager:
  • Open the device Properties sheet
  • Driver tab shows the driver, version, release date
  • Click Driver Details button to see a list of driver files. Click on each one to see version number, etc.

You can use both DriverMax and Windows Device Manager to search for newer driver versions. Take their answer as being "possibly" correct. You should verify yourself.

Know that when looking for drivers, you often find a device driver available from several different sources. Apply this priority order when choosing which to use:
- System Provider (company who built your computer, e.g Dell or HP)
- Motherboard Vendor (company who integrated the mobo chipset onto the PC board and sells it as a working unit. Mobo vendors often simply re-distribute the standard chipset drivers. HOWEVER, sometimes (and is perfectly correct when they do) the mobo vendor makes some changes to work on / or how they want things to work on their mobo. In such case, the mobo may make changes and distribute a modified set of chpset drivers.
- Chipset Vendor (company who made the chips integrated on the mobo) Note these chipset drivers won't work correctly if Mobo vendor made changes and are releasing their own drivers
- Chip or Product Vendor (company who made a chip or a product on your computer.) If part of the mobo you prefer mobo drivers. Or is availalbe from System vendor site, use theirs. But if absolutely can't find them you can always try these to see if they'll work

I quit. I'm putting Vista from the recovery CD back on it. I'd rather have a slow and slightly unstable computer than one that I can't get on the internet. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back