Gateway Vs Windows Pro 64 Sound issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DYERMAN66

Hello,

I just found this forum this evening, so this is my first post. The reason I ended up here is because I have a problem with a gateway Laptop mx7515, sound issue that seems to be a unique situation.

I recently upgraded my roommates gateway with windows Pro xp64, and right from the start began having sound and network type driver issue's that I cannot find any help for. The laptop is out of warranty so gateway will not help without a large fee, and I don't really know from looking over there web site if they even can.
I tried Microsoft and countless others places and cant seem to find any news of this situation
The sound card is described as Gateway Conexant audio drive 1.1.0.18. I have tried installing some other drivers that i read worked for similar XP issue's but no go. there a also problems installing network and wireless drvers. Is this a hopeless cause? I am so ready to give up, so this is my last shot

I hope someone here is familiar with this situation and can help or I will have to install another OS.

Thanks

Well here are all your drivers: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=5382

But two things.
1. Did you also update to Windows Service Pack 3
2. Why did you update from XP 32 Bit to XP 64 Bit, in the first place?

Now I say number 2 above :rolleyes: because XP 64 Bit has had many issues (especially driver issues) and generally many do not like it at all. The best "upgrade" for Windows XP (if you want 64Bit) is Vista (cough) Or better yet Wndows 7 64 Bit
Sadly I don't think your computer will work well (driver wise) on Windows 7 either
So its back to XP 32Bit you go, and think about updating your entire computer next time ;) That supports Windows 7 64Bit ideally

XP 64Bit Why MS Why?

Well, To answer your question as to why,

The previous OS was destroyed by a virus, and being a student we are allowed some free OS downloads from MS, The laptop is a 64 so when I saw xp pro 64. I naturally thought it would be great for it. I looked it up on the MS web site and obviously was miss-led to believe it was a great OS ( no wonder I had never heard of it before)

I believe you are right and its back to 32. I hate it though because of the hours spent installing and downloading and searching for drivers, just to start it all again. Lesson Learned!

Thanks Again,

As for the Gateway Drivers at your posted link,

That is where I spent hours trying to find out anything about why the drivers they had wouldn't install. That is also where the reply to my e-mail said "your warranty has expired, but you talk to someone for $59 for half hour and $105 for an hour". What so I could get the run around some more! only to find there is no fix. They really are a terrible company as far as I'm concerned I will never purchase anything from them.

I'll let you know something. Us techs can always get through to support for free, its just how you word it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back