Gears of War connection problem

By Alster37
Jul 4, 2009
  1. Ive been playing on gears recently and when my friend tries to join my game he gets an error message saying to insert the disk. i get it to when trying to join his game. He plays it on the xbox and I play it on pc. Gears of war is cross console, and I play with other friends often who use the xbox version.

thanks if you can help
  2. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

From my understanding GOW is not cross-platform.

"The PC version uses the [Unreal Engine 3] engine code, where as the XBOX 360's version uses a different code base, and overtime the compatibility between the engines was lost."

Only games I found that are cross-platform are:

- Lost Planet™ Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
    - Shadowrun™
    - Universe at War™: Earth Assault

Maybe you mixed up the games? Sorry about that =/.
  3. Alster37

Alster37 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 290

oh dear how embarrasing. :eek: Thanks for telling be sooner than later relic. I have seen people with a mix of pc and xbox exclusive games on their played game section in their profiles does that mean people can use an xbox live account with a windows live game?
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

I believe so Alster, from my understanding Microsoft's Live Anywhere campaign and service is one that merges everything and keeps track of it under one profile if so desired. I personally have my Zune and 360 merged (which was one major hassle to do btw), I never tried this with Windows Live PC games thou. I'd imagine it would work nevertheless granted it is confusing at times.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.