TechSpot

Geek Squad caught charging $580 for a loose IDE cable

By Rage_3K_Moiz
May 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOX 12 tested a couple of local PC repair shops in Oregon and found a Geek Squad store that told them it would cost $580 to fix the "problem", a loose IDE cable on one of the HDDs, and also recommended buying a new PC, stating that the "broken" one had a virus.

Check out the full story here.
  2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

I pity customers who live by the saying "Ignorance is bliss" ....

Spyder_1386 :)
  3. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

I have made very little money in my computer business because I refuse to cheat people who need their computers fixed. It is what it is. How can the technicians at Geek Squad that did this sleep at night?
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,527   +315

Speaking of which, you could also buy an "ultra high quality" DVI cable for $120 at BestBuy or get a similar cable from Newegg for $15.
  5. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd TS Rookie Posts: 238

thats more than 2 HDMI cables lol
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,664   +879

I thought that universal PnP, in combination with modular construction was supposed to make the computer repair process transcend "foolproof", and culminate in "***** proof". How could we know?

I always hold out for $12.00 or less and maybe even a rebate. And don't forget free shipping.
  7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,527   +315

Oops that's what I meant, HDMI not DVI...
  8. FoReWoRd

$15 thats cheap, here in the UK it is like £35
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,664   +879

10. FoReWoRd

i really dont care lol, im just saying how they overhype prices on useless items, if you know the item you can get it much cheaper, like £2.50
  11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

12. syde

syde TS Rookie Posts: 131

Is there really a difference between say the $15 HDMI cable and the "Monster" Cables that cost a lot?
  13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,305   +265

I second the monoprice link - it's the best place to get cables.
  14. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I personally believe 99.999% oxygen-free 10-gauge gold plated performance stranded EM shielded magnetically aligned cables are nothing more than snake oil, espeically for your average person. Of course, I don't know about HDMI specifically, but considering they are digital... as long as the signal gets there.. you should be fine.

Here's an interesting one: Do coat hangers sound as good as monster cables.
  15. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Geek Squad FTL.
  16. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,894   +88

Now wheres that reciept?.....

ROFLMAO! although i dont know why i am laughing, in the late 80's i was something of an audiophile, i invested some 15k into a Nakimichi system, with Altec Model 19 speakers. I bet I have $1000 in gold plated, oxygen free,shielded blah,blah,blah 'monster cables' out in the garage.......I guess I feel retroactively foolish :haha::eek:
  17. JayJatt

JayJatt TS Rookie

They always over charge
  18. MCTaylor

MCTaylor TS Rookie

It's like anything (car repair, etc.) - if you are ignorant, there will always be someone who is more than willing to take advantage of you
  19. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We haven't seen that price from these corporat tesms, but commonly their billings in Southern Arizona start at $151 from the invoices we have seen... Of course, they had to drive 17 miles for the Show Up. $39 for a SATA cable that costs them $3.95... $89 for a $11 modem... $99 for a $22 optical drive. it goes on and on..
    This is embarrassing to the entire industry, and prevents people from getting anything repaired. They just move it to their garage.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.