GeForce 195.39 beta brings OpenCL 1.0 support, over 200 bug fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nvidia has released GeForce 195.39 beta drivers, its first to support the OpenCL 1.0 specification. The version also brings over 200 bug fixes, support for CUDA Toolkit 3.0 (which will be released in the coming weeks), and SLI support for various titles including Borderlands, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, G-Force, FIFA Soccer 2010, League of Legends: Clash of Fates, NHL 2009, Order of War, Pro Evolution Soccer 2010, Race On, and Star Trek: D-A-C, along with a boost in SLI performance for Champions Online and Dragon-Age: Origins.

Fudzilla notes that SLI support for the above titles is already present in Nvidia's SLI Profile Update 3, which was made available on October 15, so the recent beta release doesn't bring anything too new on that front. Among the couple hundred bug fixes is an error which caused GeForce G210 to switch to 4-bit color mode, and another that caused Battlefield Heroes to freeze on the GTX 280. For a complete rundown on the changes, take a look at the release notes (XP, Vista, 7). Grab your download below:

Windows XP | XP/Server 2003 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 | Vista/7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

Where can I download this? I went to Nvidia's site and the drivers there are still 191.07

Nvidia doesn't list beta drivers on their main site, but on nzone.com. We bring them to you when they are relevant enough, and like Matt pointed out you have the download links for the various Windows versions at the bottom of the post.

@ Matthew, oh those doesn't show up as blue hyper links on my screen for some reason, I think someone messed with my displays colors, thanks

It's good to see Nvidia making such progress with their drivers. Open CL support is great, just a pitty we have yet to have anything to take advantage of it yet.

Improved CUDA performance is welcome by me too, hopefully improve my folding@home scores with the GPU client.

Apart from that I don't think they will manage to squeeze much more performance from my aging 8800GTS 640MB.

It's good to see that Nvidia is working hard on their products.

OpenCL is a great feature. For those who don't know what OpenCL is,
it is basically a way to do calculations on the GPU. Things that the CPU
normally does can be passed on to the GPU.

The only problem is that very few, if any, applications make use of OpenCL.
OpenCL should be used soon for 3D modeling programs, which can speed
up the rendering process dramatically.

It's good to see that Nvidia now supports OpenCL. I hope AMD will do the same in the upcoming 9.11 drivers!

The Cat 9.11 beta drivers have OpenCL support. It has been out for a month already. Hopefully the official Cats have OpenCL support though.

Looks like the notebook drivers have finally caught up to the desktop ones. They were stuck at 186.xx for a long time, but looks like 195.xx is available for notebooks too.

Nice progress from the green team.. however they really need to work on removing the bloat from their driver packages. Anyone else remember when you could grab the latest nvidia drivers and the whole package would be 5mb or less? Honestly the bloat factor is very sad indeed.

Its nice to see some support for Open-cl , I think as the industry moves forward this is huge.
I really am hoping that the development of Open-cl isn't stifled because of proprietary solutions in effect right now like NVIDIA PhysX or Amd's STREAM .. more so PhysX as its getting pretty big right now. But to be fair to ATI I would love to see this flourish to the point where it is " THE " standard.
I am thinking its time that Futermark started making a bench with this standard.
It won't be long till its in effect , the proof is in thees drivers.

Iv actually had so many problems with 191.07 that i had to restore back to an older driver, I really hope this fixes those problems, tho since it's a beta id understand but it's always worth a shot

Yikes. WinXP version is only for 8-series and above. I really have to upgrade...or should I just stick to my current card as the family PC is just used for websurfing and Office applications mainly nowadays...

And, for anyone who is interested in getting these installed on your laptop, you can use these modded INF files:

Windows Vista / 7 x64 (64-bit)
http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/195series/19539_win7x64/nv_disp.inf

Windows Vista / 2 x86 (32-bit)
http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/195series/19539_win7x32/nv_disp.inf

• Download the appropriate driver from nvidia
  • Extract the contents into a folder using an (un)archiver like 7zip
  • Copy to and overwrite the existing INI file into that folder with the appropriate one listed above
  • Uninstall your existing video drivers, reboot
  • Install these drivers from the folder you extracted them to by using the setup.exe program

While others have had success, I initially had some issues doing the above. Even though it is the same version, I had to download the setup from laptopvideo2go.com instead of nvidia.

There were issues with the original setup package from nvidia but they took that version down and 'fixed' it. It should be working now, but if you can't get the modded INF to work with the drivers directly from nvidia, then try the ones from laptopvideo2go.

I'm running these on an 8600M GT and they work great.

is nvidia cave in with the whole opencl now and drop cuda. I like the fact that it's standardized with the whole opencl so tht the developers can really use such technology and written softwares so that it take take the gpu's power.

It'd be horrible while playing a game suddenly the color resolution being changed to 4 bits. Thanks to Nvidia, they were able to identify and fixed the bug. Identifying bugs is difficult, in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back