GeForce 4 MX440 on Asus P4B-LA

Hi everyone:

I have an HP Pavilion 7955 (1.5GHz Pentium 4, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD), which according to HP has the following motherboard:

ASUS P4B-LA (Amazon)

Pictures seem to visually confirm what I have inside my case.

I want to replace the default 32MB TNT2 AGP card with the following:

Gforce4 MX440 128MB 8x/4x AGP card

At least, that's how it was advertised (8x/4x).

The trouble, however, is this...

Everything works fine when the TNT2 is in the AGP slot. When I replace it with the Geforce4, the computer gives me beeping noises on startup and gives me a blank screen. It won't even display the BIOS POST, and the monitor's LED flashes as if it isn't even receiving a signal. When I put the TNT2 back in, all is well.

I know it's not the Geforce4, as it works fine on another machine.

The motherboard doesn't have on-board video, so there's no way for me to troubleshoot this. Does anyone know what's going on? Help!

Did you download and install the latest BIOS?

Aside from that there are only two things I can think of.
1. The new card draws too much power for your PSU to run.
2. The card is not "playing nice" with your older motherboard. The TNT2 is a 2x/4x card where as the MX440 is a 4x/8x card. In theory your motherboard should work with the mx440 if the listed specs are correct since it has 4x support, some older motherboards have issues with 4x/8x cards.

The latest BIOS is the 2001 version, which is installed.

The PSU is not the issue, as I covered that base by swapping out the original PSU for a 500W one. Still no difference.

I think it just might be the AGP version incompatibility, although - as you pointed out - the card and port *should* overlap at 4x.

Perhaps the version of the card I have simply isn't backwards compatible with 4x as was advertised? Or perhaps the P4B-LA's AGP port simply won't play with anything that's not 4x/2x?

Either way, I've given up on trying to make the two work together. Thanks for the reply, though!

Back