TechSpot

geforce 6800 ultra OVERHEATING

By divine_sage
Mar 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my video card used to run idle at about 50 degrees (by idle i just mean in windows) and when i played games it would get to about 75 degrees, now at idle it runs at about 65 even though i took the side of my case off and put a huge house fan there, and when i play games it pushes 90 degrees and i get artifacts and frequent crashes. NONE of my components are overclocked and i used rivatuner to crank my video cards fans wayy up and it changed nothing..i no there spinning faster cause i can hear it. what is going on.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Have you checked to see if the fan or heatsink is full of dust?

3. divine_sage

divine_sage TS Rookie Topic Starter

i checked the fan a long time ago and it was really dusty...i cleaned it out but it didnt make any difference....what exactly is a heatsink?? and how do i get too it.

4. divine_sage

divine_sage TS Rookie Topic Starter

nvm i figured out...yea i took the card right out and blew some compressed air on it and through the heatsink...blew out some pretty sizeable dust bunnies...it now runs just like it used too....thanks dude i can play games without my computer crapping itself.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.