GeForce 8600gt on Dell 1520 laptop with windows XP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I have a dell 1520 laptop with windows XP sp3 bought 1 year ago and at first worked fine...but for some month it started to have a problem.
The problem is that at some moment the windows crushed with blue screen(i didn't catch the message and i can not reproduce it) while i was watching a movie...I restarted it and the windows didn't load in normal mode,just hang with a black screen with no message...i could only enter in safe mode and there it worked so i uninstalled the video card so i can enter the windows normally and it worked. I tried several times to install the drivers again from the dell site but the problem was still there black screen after restart...And after a few days i tried again and it worked to install it and every thing was OK for a couple of months until a few weeks ago when the problem reappeared...but now the problem persists.
I write here because maybe someone had the same problem and i can fix it at home and if no one can help me i will go in service with the laptop.

Hi

it sounds like a faulty OS, have you checked the drive for errors at all ?, can you do a roll back to before the fault occured. ?
failing that you could do a reinstall and see if that clears the error, if it doesnt i would say that video card is failing.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer...i tried several versions of the drivers and no success i lean to believe it is the video card failing.

it is a known problem of videochips when they won't work if their drivers has been installed. you can try to boot from dell CD and launch a diagnostic software to test your videocard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back