GeForce 9800 GT problem with 64-bit Windows

Hello!

Having a problem with the GeForce 9800 GT, precisely Windows 7/8 64-bit won't recognize it. Previously I was using Windows XP Pro 32-bit and it worked fine. At the moment I'm using Windows 7 32-bit and no problems. I have tried installing the latest drivers for Windows 7 64-bit, but nothing seems to fix the problem. Tried multiple times installing and uninstalling drivers as well as Windows, doing clean installs etc. My processor is AMD Phenom 8650 Tripe-Core 2.3 GHz, so it support 64-bit Windows. Also I have 4GB of RAM. I have read numerous threads about similar problems but the solution hasn't been clear. It can't be video card's fault, because it runs fine with 32-bit Windows(and GeForce 9800 GT supports 64-bit). When checking under device manager on 64-bit W7 I get the code 43 for the video card(Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). Also if I try to open NVIDIA Control Panel I get and error saying "You are not currently using a display attached to and NVIDIA GPU" but I am, because my monitor is functioning.
Thank you in advance !

Can't you still use the 32-bit video driver in the 64-bit OS? The 9800 is a bit old... I had one in my old system, 32-bit OS

Hello!

Having a problem with the GeForce 9800 GT, precisely Windows 7/8 64-bit won't recognize it. Previously I was using Windows XP Pro 32-bit and it worked fine. At the moment I'm using Windows 7 32-bit and no problems. I have tried installing the latest drivers for Windows 7 64-bit, but nothing seems to fix the problem. Tried multiple times installing and uninstalling drivers as well as Windows, doing clean installs etc. My processor is AMD Phenom 8650 Tripe-Core 2.3 GHz, so it support 64-bit Windows. Also I have 4GB of RAM. I have read numerous threads about similar problems but the solution hasn't been clear. It can't be video card's fault, because it runs fine with 32-bit Windows(and GeForce 9800 GT supports 64-bit). When checking under device manager on 64-bit W7 I get the code 43 for the video card(Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). Also if I try to open NVIDIA Control Panel I get and error saying "You are not currently using a display attached to and NVIDIA GPU" but I am, because my monitor is functioning.
Thank you in advance !

palit nvidia 9800gt 1gb ddr3 runs fine on my windows 8 pro wmc x64 dual boot with windows 7 home premium x64.

fix by:
download but do not install latest nvidia driver 306.97
uninstall current driver and reboot.
after reboot, delete file and folder NVIDIA\DisplayDriver
install latest nvidia driver 306.97

It seems some function of the card that works with 64 bit windows may be damaged in some way. Like others have suggested try another card in the system and see if that helps.

Try this:
create a restore point, uninstall nvidia driver, then power off computer.
remove nvidia 9800gt and set aside.
turn on computer and remove nvdia installation folder.
run ccleaner, including its registry cleaning function, and clean all traces of nvidia only.
turn off computer, install nvidia 9800gt, turn on computer, and install latest nvidia driver.

Back