Geforce FX5200 PCI problems with onboard intel video chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
i recently got a Geforce FX5200 PCI card, which i tried to install in my emachines 150DVD. this has a 1.2Ghz celeron, 512MB ram and an onboard intel video chipset. when i installed the PCI card all was well, except that the PCI card was always secondary compared to the onboard intel chipset. When i disabled the onboard video chipset, the PC restarted and the monitor was not picking up any signals from the PC. i tried restarting a number of time but no use, sometimes i got a black screen with the mouse cursor but that was it. whenever i take out the PCI card the PC runs fine, but whenever i put the PCI card back in the PC has a battle with the onboard video and the PCI card, resulting in nothing on the screen. I uninstalled the Geforce drivers and then tried to install the card back in, but no use, cos as soon as the geforce card was installed back into the PCI slot the monitor was not pickin up any signals from the PC. i wiped the PC clean and reinstalled XP so that there was no memory of the PC ever having a PCI card installed in it. Repeated the procedure, of installin, but no luck and again the same problem. I tried going in the BIOS to see if i could disable the onboard graphics from there, but there is no option on the BIOS screen, even thought it states "select disable to prevent any memory from being given to the onboard graphics". I've tried everything i can think of and read about but still no use. the only thing i aint tried is the 'jumper' thing, but i'm not sure how to do it or wat it is wen regarding the motherboard.

I really hope you can help

Jib

I dont have a emachine, but when i inquired about it the Best Buy tech mentioned the Jumper having to be used to turn the dam thing off.

Some are automatic, but i think u have an old one.

Assuming i have an older model, because it doesn't seem to be automatically turning the onboard video card off, how can i manually turn off the onboard vga using the jumper???

i looked at the diagram in the PC casing which showed how to disable stuff using the Jumper, but there was no information on how to disable the onboard VGA.

If anyone can give me any helpful ideas i would be grateful :knock:

I managed to fix it. On a few occasions i had forgotten to plug the monitor cable into the new graphics card, instead i was pluigging it into the old graphics card. Ah well, atleast i learnt a whole new bunch of stuff about my PC, yay.

Thanks for all the help :giddy:

Jibran

Hey Jibran,

Does you itunes seems different or does the visualizer play choppy?

Same thing happened to me and then i figured it out but a lot of things are not the same. Also, the monitor doesnt turn off like it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back