GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. Radeon RX 5700 XT: 37 Game Benchmark

For those that have the money, the 2070 Super makes sense even though the value isn't as good. But I must say that I'm impressed by what AMD managed to achieve with their new architecture, albeit they need to work on the software side a bit more. For example, CAS needs to be an option for all GPUs and with some customisation options.

The 5700XT is a better value proposition but I personally would probably find the extra for the 2070S.

Comparisons of cost are still currently warped by the fact the 5700XT is as low as $400 but only with the reference blower coolers- just not good enough at this price level. I'm not buying a $400 card with a blower in 2019. Whereas I can find a twin fan 2070S for the MSRP, and an AIB one for a little over.

That still makes the AMD card better performance per dollar, but immediately narrows the gap considerably. As do the Forza results, which were massively skewed to favour AMD before the latest Nvidia drivers. That rather normalises the final standings.

Still, there is very little in it performance wise at 1440p. However the gap extends somewhat at 4K.

It isn't always the case but when that happens you generally have a hint at how cards can age. If a card is slower at lower res but the gap closes at higher res, then the future game performance often lies closer together. If it extends, then it's sometimes the case one will age a little better.

I've never been a fan of the 'Super' cards.
The 5700XT is possibly the better buy here but that's not saying much, the RTX 2070 Super is overpriced, Newegg has regular RTX 2070's right now for $450 (469, 450 after rebate)
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...Vhp6fCh2hbwmDEAYYASABEgJNN_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very interesting how the Radeon falls more and more behind as the resolution increases, even though its only 5-10%. If looking at just raw performance the 5700XT is the better buy, but unfortunately you also have to factor in AMD's inferior software, features and stability.

Last edited:
For whom? That's a lot of money and very few even have the CPU and monitor to drive those GPUs properly. 500$ and up just for the GPU is without a doubt something that the majority can't afford. It's called high-end for a reason :D

Gotta pay to play.

Use a credit card if you must.

My 2080TiFTW3 netted me over 2500 points on my Capital One Venture and I paid it off before I incurred interest.

For whom? That's a lot of money and very few even have the CPU and monitor to drive those GPUs properly. 500$ and up just for the GPU is without a doubt something that the majority can't afford. It's called high-end for a reason :D

Gotta pay to play.

My 2080TiFTW3 netted me over 2500 points on my Capital One Venture and I paid it off before I incurred interest.

Phhhh... yeah, a 2080 TI is a must for playing games... (sarcasm)

No, as stated before by someone else, a 3600 paired with a 5700XT is the best Performance/Price combo.

Beside this, I would argue to just get a console or to upgrade their GPU to a Vega 56 or a 5700. Anyone buying RTX are uninformed or fanboys.

The 2070s, and even the 2060s would be the way to go!
Even if you're only getting +100fps instead of +120fps, you're most likely not going to notice.
What you will notice However, is how low the framerates drop, once you add Ray Tracing in the mix!
While a 2060/2070 will still have smooth framerates, the 5700 will barely be playable!

That, and the fact that if you game a lot, you're better off with an RTX card. The electric cost is a lot lower, and can be further lowered through optimizations, which also means less heat generated.

The 2070s, and even the 2060s would be the way to go!
Even if you're only getting +100fps instead of +120fps, you're most likely not going to notice.
What you will notice However, is how low the framerates drop, once you add Ray Tracing in the mix!
While a 2060/2070 will still have smooth framerates, the 5700 will barely be playable!

That, and the fact that if you game a lot, you're better off with an RTX card. The electric cost is a lot lower, and can be further lowered through optimizations, which also means less heat generated.
If $.10 of electricity over the course of the year means that much to you, the 2070s is going to be WAY too expensive to purchase for you.

I'd buy the 2070s simply because I don't trust AMD hardware. I've owned three AMD GPUs. The first one,. Radeon 9800 Pro back in the day doesn't even count because that was ATI back then. The other two? Went up in smoke inside my rig.

The moral of the story is you get what you pay for. 5700xt at $400 sounds tasty but then you got AMD saying it's okay if the thing runs at 110c. Yeeeaaaa no. Gtfo AMD.

AMD’s FidelityFX is a software toolkit containing something called CAS. CAS is a feature that devs can build into their games to improve sharpness quality at higher resolutions, with minimal drawback on performance.
It isn't some filter you apply after the game has been developed like everyone and every reviewer is saying.
Nvidia’s Freestyle has nothing to do with the development process. It’s all applied by a third party (Nvidia’s GeForce software) to a game after the game is already running.

https://www.newegg.com/insider/amd-fidelity-fx-nvidia-freestyle-comparison-guide/

(((((FidelityFX effects are easy to integrate – all that’s needed is to #include the provided header files and use appropriate functions in your shader code))))

Gotta pay to play.

At this point in time, with comments like this, I can safely assume that you never had to worry about money because of your parents. You also don't have kids, or siblings. Nobody wastes money like that, not even the rich business men.

Last edited:
Would love to see an article comparing these 2 cards for VR. Vega was atrocious for VR, wondering if Navi has improved that situation at all.
It seems to be somewhat variable - a colleague of mine has a 5700 XT and an Occulus Rift; some games are fine, others are glitchy as anything. His previous graphics card was a GeForce 780, which had no glitches/problems but obviously struggled with the required performance for a good VR experience.

Back