GeForce2/MX400 with VIA chipset. Please HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nVidia card keep lock me up. I have installed latest driver for nvidia, bios and chipset but still my windows can't run. I use WindowsXP Pro with SP1 but still have problems. Windows only run if I set hardware accelator to none in display properties, but I can't play any 3D games then. I have try a lot of tweaker and I set core/memory clock under the default value. It works just for a few day and then back to same problem. Error message says "infinite loop" on my graphic adapter. How to resolve this problem? If I have to buy another graphic card, which one will compatible with my system.

I use :
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
ECS K7VTA3 rev. 3.1 VIA8233A
PC2700 Apacer 256 MB
Pixelview GeForce2/MX400
Seagate 7200RPM 60 GB
Seagate 5600RPM 40 GB
LiteOn DVD-ROM
LiteOn External CD-RW 40x
Samsung SyncMaster 17"
WindowsXP Pro (SP1)
Detonator version : from 21.92 to 41.09
Chipset driver VIA 4 in 1 ver 4.43

Anyone help me... please...

Thanks

Try checking your bios make sure that the video is set to AGP not PCI I have seen the kind of behavior your describing when the bios setting somehow got put on PCI.

And I hope you have at least a 300 watt power supply if you are running an Amd XP chip a nvidia card and TWO hard drives.

Thanks iss,
in bios, i already set video to AGP. Other setting :
AGP aperture = 128 MB
AGP Mode = 4X
AGP Driving control = auto
AGP Fast Write = disabled
System BIOS/Video RAM Cacheable = disabled
Video BIOS Shadow = disabled

I tried Windows98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP but didn't solve the problem. Sometimes my monitor just turn to black with only vertival lines on it.

ok so windows isnt booting at all? first thing unplug the PC and drain the CMOS battery by holding in the power button then take out the video card and reinstall it making sure that the card is properly seated. Believe it or not the card can seem to be seated and yet not be all the way. ( I know, it has happend to me)

if that does nothing try unplugging one of your hard drives and posibly any case fans if you have any then try booting. If it boots then your power supply isnt sufficient.

VIA chpset - always try turning off AGP 4x, with this vid card you won't even get a performance hit.

Also, set AGP drive value manually, graphics card manual or manufacturers home page should give you a right value. If I remember right it was either DA or EA for GF2 cards. When I happen to reboot I'll look up what I am using right now..

I had the same problem when I updated to the latest drivers. 28.32 works great. Anything higher and I have the problems.

Wasn't "Infinite loop" a very well documented problem with these cards?

You can probably find plenty of information on www.google.com with: "infinite loop" nvidia via

Yes Rick, there's been lots of discussion here too on it. But for once I don't think his "infinite loop" is related to the one I expierenced. Because of 1 line of text.
Originally Posted by djunior:
I tried Windows98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP but didn't solve the problem.

What make is the card?
Have you tried the driver from the manufacture?
Sometimes they are better than the generic nVidea drivers since those are written for all nVidea chipsets, not the one in your card alone. It might not be the latest, greatest and fastest, but it might not have side effects either.

Have you had problems from this card since it was installed or di dit just start happening one day? If it just suddenly started causing problems, what was the last change made before the problems started? When you changed versions of drivers, did you fully remove the previous ones before installing new ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back