TechSpot

GeForce4 MX420.........video but no sound!!!

By Chucklehead
Jun 26, 2002
  1. I just bought a geforce4 MX420 video card and installed, and the video is working fine, but i have no sound........i'm using Windows ME, pIII with onboard sound.......i'm pretty new to this aspect of comps, so i'm not sure if i would need to add a sound card or not.......i've done some searching online and it seems a lot of people are using onboard sound with a seperate video card......and advice would be greatly appreciated.......

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

When you disabled your onboard video, did you accidentally disable the sound as well. I know it isn't likely but I have seen it happen before. Check the BIOS to make sure.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

I can't directly help you with your problem of missing sound. But I can assure you that you do not need to buy a sound card. Only time you would need to buy a sound card is if yours actually fried. But chances of that happening when you installed a video card are probably pretty slim.

4. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

other than that you might have an IRQ conflict.
    control panel> system> device mgr> computer>
    did you check for Yellow (!) any conflicts?
    What irq's your using (they're listed)

5. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

Chucklehead,

1st post: Welcome aboard! :D

If I set my FSB too high: I lose my on-board sound too. My limit is 72mhz w/my 500 Celeron 66mhz FSB CPU. My board (i810E) has a locked BIOS & when I use CPUCool to OC the FSB: everything is clocked higher & it appears the sound chip can't go that high. :(

What comp/board do you have? Any 'software' or BIOS oc'ing? Is that a PCI or AGP MX420? What Win system & have you run any diagnostics yet? :cool:

HTH,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.