General discussion question?

syde

I was curious if there was any future possiblity of a general discussion thread because I had some questions outside of direct tech support. If I'm wrong at asking this question on the forums I apolgize and any sillieness I may seem to be asking I apolgize for:

I've been in the military since I was 18 and am getting out soon (going on 26) as I love playing around on computers, usually tweaking and playing with software(not code just options/tabs/looks etc.) I have learned a little bit of HTML and was interested in maybe software engineering but I fear my math isn't super great. I never took any high speed math classes in highschool however I've done a lot of geometry and on the fly multiplication and division for awhile as my job requires it in the military.

I was curious as to if any1 would/could suggest maybe a specific job within the computer industry that might match up with my current skills as I've already been accepted to MU (Missouri University) for their four year IT program.

If this just sounds like a bunch of grumble I apolgize again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/recommendations!

Michael

I find it's more what you want to do with computers than anything else. Find out what interests you and work towards it. Their are all types of computer related jobs and some can be very difficult where you need strong math and other jobs where you need to have knowledge of the components more so than math savy.

Look at jobs that interest you more so than what you qualify for. If you go with that attitude anything is possible.

Well I'd really like to just build, upgrade hardware and fix peoples computer programs but I'm not sure if thats like an actual "career" choice. I don't think?

(unless you have like your own small business)

lol I find it fun just when I'm installing a different video card or RAM but I haven't done much to the extreme as I don't wanna trash my computer to know return

Ever thought of working for yourself? I do and have done for 15 years now - and the business is a computer support co. I work from home, have loads of domestic and some commercial clients (remember it can take years to build up a customer base big enough to support you) and basically come and go as I please. If it gets screwed up there is only one person responsible!

If you want to learn how to code get the MS visual studio express editions (free for non-commercial use if registered).
I remember the first project that I did after starting to understand the very basics (if, then , do etc..) was a cool little text based combat/rpg type thing. It's absolutely awful looking back at it, then again no one is brilliant when they first start trying.

I've been in the military since I was 18 and am getting out soon (going on 26) as I love playing around on computers, usually tweaking and playing with software(not code just options/tabs/looks etc.) I have learned a little bit of HTML and was interested in maybe software engineering but I fear my math isn't super great. I never took any high speed math classes in highschool however I've done a lot of geometry and on the fly multiplication and division for awhile as my job requires it in the military.

I was curious as to if any1 would/could suggest maybe a specific job within the computer industry that might match up with my current skills as I've already been accepted to MU (Missouri University) for their four year IT program.

I'm not in IT, nor do I have a comp sci or comp e degree. But if you still want to hear my opinion it is this: Go to MU for a semester or year at least if you can afford it, that way you'll be able to better judge if that is the route you want to go. But based on what you've said, you might be better off just studying on your own and trying to get certifications that are based around the stuff you want to do with computers. Then try to work for a computer repair place or try and start your own.

I think comp sci will have too much coding for your tastes, and a comp eng degree will require the basic engineering courses.

If you go to MU you'll only be a little over an hour away from me. I'm working on a phd in geology at MS&T in Rolla (formerly Univ of Missouri-Rolla).

I'm not in IT, nor do I have a comp sci or comp e degree. But if you still want to hear my opinion it is this: Go to MU for a semester or year at least if you can afford it, that way you'll be able to better judge if that is the route you want to go. But based on what you've said, you might be better off just studying on your own and trying to get certifications that are based around the stuff you want to do with computers. Then try to work for a computer repair place or try and start your own.

I think comp sci will have too much coding for your tastes, and a comp eng degree will require the basic engineering courses.

If you go to MU you'll only be a little over an hour away from me. I'm working on a phd in geology at MS&T in Rolla (formerly Univ of Missouri-Rolla).

Thanks and yeah I've considered that. however I fear that at this day and age and how people look upon people without a degree It will hurt me in the long run. I guess what I'm saying is "how does a a pile of certs stack up to a degree?"

Thanks for responding with the advise.

Perhaps I should have qualified this by explaining that I learned what I know about IT as a mad hobbyist and with some instruction from companies I worked for over the years (UPS and DHL amongst others)

According to an on-line translation service this means
" I have something, why not show my hair right?"
I think that just possibly this is on the wrong forum - perhaps he needs a tonsorial artiste??

It's "Spam", from the "Nam"......!

According to an on-line translation service this means
" I have something, why not show my hair right?"
I think that just possibly this is on the wrong forum - perhaps he needs a tonsorial artiste??
It jus' goes to show, you can't trust your instincts. I sort of reflexively thought that it said, "ow, my a**, I just sat on a land mine".

Back