General noob? About overclocking AMD 64x2 system

khizersozay

Just going to break down and be a noob here. Have never overclocked, can swap parts and deal a bit with bios. Im not the "omfg were is the power button" kinda guy.Just not a great tech either. So here is my question ..should i overclock my ram, vid card or cpu or all of the above with this system? And doe's anyone know right off what my "safe" limits might be close to?

system.
AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+ "brisbane"
Motherboard - AsRock NF5SLI-1394
chipset -Nvidia Nforce4
Vid. Card -Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
Ram-Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 (333mhz) 512x4

Current running
cpu 1.264v both cores hanging around 30c
memory is 4.4.4 and i beleave 1.8v

Prime95 - This reports when the CPU fails to complete a calculation properly which can be an indication of instability of an overclock.
MemTest will report errors with memory, which again can be the result of overclocking the Front Side Bus.

Running 3DMark graphic benchmarks and looking for any artifacts can be a good way to check for instability from GPU overclocking.

Use CPUID / CoreTemp programs to monitor frequencies and temperatures.

Here is a very detailed guide to overclocking the 64X2 processor(K8 not K10 from the AMD forums. If it isn't applicable don't follow it exactly but the explanations are still useful.

about your question, what is it you are trying to accomplish? is this for better gaming performance? The x2 64 4xxx series will usually OC 300-500 Mhz. you can then OC the graphics card, and lower the timings on your Ram. beyond that you will need to start applying a disproportionate amount of Voltage, and not notice much of a performance increase.

Thanks for all the feedback. And its more or less just to see a little more from my machine for game's. I cant seem to get any of the software for overclocking my vid. card to work "im on win. 7" but i did see in my bios a pcie mhz ...is this a setting to OC the pci express?

It is a setting to OC the frequency of the PCIE bus, however adjusting it will have little to no effect on performance with your machine. If you stick with the OC of the CPU, GPU , and possibly lower the timings of your memory will afford you the the most tangible results. If you are uncomfortable messing with the memory timings that's okay. It is the least priority of the three.

Back