General Stuff, questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, i have be recently overclocking with my:

Mainboard : Gigabyte P31-DS3L
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Processor : Intel Pentium XE 925 @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc RADEON X1650 SERIES
Hard Disk : Maxtor (251 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 640b ATA Device
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

I managed to get my 3.ghz Intel D processor to 4.0ghz, now what im confused about is is Intel D processor just a Intel Core Duo 2? How come vista, and my processor name is called Pentium D but "PC Wizard 2008" detects it as a XE, i havent even heard of that. Also When overclocking a Dual core processor are both the speed suppose to change or just one?

Another thing i noticed is that when i overclock my CPU my Ram freq seems to go up aswell.

I only realised the benifits of that thermal paste thing when i found it in my cpu box and tried it. When i was at 3.90ghz (OC) my CPU would be at like 70*c, now at 4.05Ghz its at 41*c

Thanks for reading :p

No, I believe Pentium D's are based on Intel Pentium 4's architecture and Core 2 Duo's are based on the Pentium M's architecture to some extent. Two totally different CPUs.

You probably have an "Extreme Edition" of the Pentium D, hence the "XE".

Both cores are operating off the same clock multiplier, thus, both will increase at the same rate and not individually.

Yep, your RAM's bus and the CPU's FSB are tied together via the MCH (or "Northbridge"). Often if you increase the FSB it will have an effect on the RAM's bus unless you have options in the BIOS to lock the RAM's bus or run the RAM:FSB at a specific ratio.

Thermal compound is essential to the equation of a modern CPU's cooling.

Also, about the XE, your chip might just be a rebadged version of an earlier Extreme Edition chip. Therefore, some motherboards (or programs) may have seen it as the earlier chip, while others may see it as the new rebadged version.

If I'm right, the difference is an unlocked multiplier.... If you didn't pay for an XE chip, and have an unlocked multiplier.... LUCKY YOU!! :D

And since we're all parotting the wonders of thermal compounds....
NEVER FORGET TO APPLY THERMAL COMPOUND!!!

That is all. End communication.

I opened a 7 year old, 133mhz compaq about 4 years ago, and found this white stuff all caked on it, solid.

I just put the heatsink back on, and the computer continued to run for another year or so :D

Bear in mind, those things don't come with fans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back