Get a handle on out dated threads

tw0rld

As you might have realized from my title; I am very annoyed and upset thatTS Admins are unable to keep old threads from reappearing every now and then. I recently got a notice of an infraction from a TS Admin. Apparently I made a post on a three year old thread, that someone had resurrected from the dead. While I do claim some responsibility for not being more vigilant; I think that this is an scenario that Julio and the likes should have been able to prevent from happening. Why isn't a three year old thread archived? This should not be happening, therefore I think that Julio and others should share the blame for old threads, just popping up from out of nowhere. Please, lets stop this from happening again.

My suggestion: Any thread that have not had a response in over six months should be made dormant and only readable(archived). Maybe there is a way that this can be done automatically. Please guys get this fixed.

I can't see why the infraction was given to you
I will contact Julio and ask the reason, and if it can be lifted if found of no substance

Thank-you.

Please note: This type of question may have been best in PM directly to Julio

I recently got a notice of an infraction from a TS Admin.
You sure it was a TS admin?

From what i've seen, is typically just other users that love to pounce on someone for doing just that! (even when that someone is a clear newbie with only a handful of TS posts to date)

But that was a rhetorical question as to who said something cuz it's easy to make that mistake (and have done so myself!) But whether old threads are closed or just present users with a pop-up asking "Do you really want to post to this tired, OLD thread?" people should lighten up on the newbies. (the rest of us can take it)

It wasn't a Newbie

But the question of what to do with old threads (or popup questions) has been discussed in many threads by many members

At this stage the old threads continue to stay open (well the open ones anyway :) )

Julio will look at if this warning on tw0rld can be lifted; or not, because I'm not Julio !

Ok, apparently the infraction was given for reviving an old thread. This is not against our board rules per se, nor is it written. In your particular case you replied to the thread in good faith after someone else brought it back up. I have now removed your infraction as I agree there was no merit for it.

What could be considered an infraction (and what I believe momok was targeting) is for members that instead of opening a new thread with for a related new issue, reply to an old one.

My suggestion: Any thread that have not had a response in over six months should be made dormant and only readable(archived). Maybe there is a way that this can be done automatically.

We considered this in the past but ultimately did not take action because there was no written mod to do so in the old version of vBulletin. Now that we run the latest version (and is doable) I will put it under consideration again.

Hi tw0rld, I'm really sorry about that infraction. I was looking back at the thread, and I entirely agree with the others that it was unnecessary. (honestly can't figure out why I would do that too, I remember giving to Clayton but not you somehow)

I also agree with your standpoint about the archiving of old threads. I've seen one too many old threads being resurrected too. Apart from that, spammers also like to target these old threads. While I'm fine with moderating them as and when these appear, sometimes other members reply before that, and a whole discussion on an old over-and-done-with topic tends to start. In most of these cases, the original thread starter doesn't even have the problem anymore or no longer frequents TS. IMO the discussion then becomes pretty much pointless with no ends to justify it.

As I mentioned above, I will look into this again. I just recently coded something similar for closing the news comments and prevent spam there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Honestly,

While this could be a good thing, it could also create a number of thread unnecessary because others do not use the search function, or at the same time, they find an archived thread (per se on Google) and they are having the SAME exact problem, what would be the point in creating a brand new topic instead of just kind of bumping it.

Then again, as I read this, I understand that you are supposed to create your OWN thread for your issue, but I still say that it has its pros and cons.

I dunno. Too many variables for me. Even in Geometry, too many letters would throw me for a loop.

Not really, but hey, thats what a friend of mine says...

There are obviously some pros/cons on doing this, but it may end up being a good idea if we use a very modest setting. Like not closing the threads unless they haven't received a reply in 18+ months.

At first I was thinking 6-12 months but that doesn't quite work because there are recurrent threads that are used annually, e.g. the b-day threads.

Why Stop Short of Flogging.........?

Wouldn't a good alternative solution to this problem be for the person that resurrected the old thread to say, "whoops, I'm sorry, my bad", instead of all this anguish, contention and soul searcning? Not to mention the savings of time and energy expended in infraction & computer code writing.

Like: "Why make a mountain out of a mole hill?"

Because Moderators have to continually remove or move, these New posts from the old thread

That's why !

Approach the problem from the users view:
The symptom is NEW to the one 'resurrected' the old thread.
Then too, the age of the thread does not necessarily correlate to 'out dated' or the information therein is now invalid .

If we start archiving all threads without updates in the last xx months, we only invite
new threads to be created wherein OLD issues have already been discussed.

IMO, this begs for better use of SEARCH and a flag that marks a thread as solved
which would assist everyone.
eg Search all threads where status is equal to "Solved";

'eg Search all threads where status is equal to "Solved"'

Yeah jobeard, except 98% of posters just get helped, say thx, and ride off into the sunset.

They don't use the 'solved' thingie.

Sadly, so true :rolleyes:

Not to add to the moderator's worklist, but purely on a 'best effort' basis,
Some threads get viewed by mods and the 'Solved status' may become self-evident.

At least these might be so flagged and a partial solution is better than none :)

Would work with a 'Sheriff's and Deputies' system - Deputies get 1 or 2 'Controls', like tagging threads Solved.

Sheriff's get to do whatever they actually do. Besides post.

:)

Back