TechSpot

Get files from old HDD - Convert to external Drive

By jderonck
May 22, 2008
  1. I had a PC (XP) that is pretty much toast, I believ the HDD was still good though and it has some data on it that I'd really like to recover. I pulled the drive from teh old PC and got an enclosure for it.

When I try to access the drive after attaching it to the new (Vista) PC. I see that the drive is there but there is no drive letter. I set the jumper to Slave already and i see the drive in the BIOS settings. I am able to get the drive information in Disk Management and it says it is "Healthy (Active, Primary Partitin)" I have tried rebooting the new PC, switching USB ports and moving the jumper setting to OS.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

2. Ruthe

Ruthe TS Enthusiast Posts: 70

I had the same problem and I'm so sorry! Zenosinck solved it for me. See the topic

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic104141.html

if you can't do this using the directions from Microsoft (see his link) because of the disparity in OS, you might try the Linux (Ubuntu (free) and NTFS-3G (also free)) solution if you don't mind (and can) adding a dual boot to your Vista machine. Otherwise, ask folks around your neighborhood if they have XP and would share. :)

Good luck.

3. Ruthe

I just thought of one other thing you can try. I used StellarInfo a long time ago. It worked. They have a demo you can download. Run the demo and it will tell you if it can recover files and which ones it can. It is easy to use but will cost $$.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/download.htm

If you don't like that one just google "hard drive recovery" (with quotes) and you'll get plenty of hits.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,902   +338

Try setting the hard drive jumper to master. When in an enclosure, slave doesn't apply.

5. jderonck

jderonck TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nope

I tried every jumper setting sorry that was CS i not OS earlier poor typing. I even tried no Jumper at all. Setting the jumper to Master was worse. The drive was not found at all.

Ruthe: I read the thread you suggested and I'm not sure I follow. I don't think my situation is exactly the same. It's not that I don'e see the data on the drive, I don't see the drive at all. I do see the drivers getting installed when I boot though. I also see it in the Bios config, so it's there... I also see it if I use disk managment but with no drive/partition letter and there is no way for me to change teh partitioning (that I know of) without losing all the data. I am currently downloading the knoppix linux distro though so I can try that option. It'll be a while for it to completely download.

6. jderonck

jderonck TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had to run Partitin Table Disk Doctor (PTDD) on th old drive. Once I did, I was able to see the drive. Part of the problem might have been because the old drive "thought" it was still c:\

7. Ruthe

Way to go! Congratulations.

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Most NTFS drives are locked down. It this a drive from work on a domain or home PC that was on workgroup. The home PC drive should be easy to access using it as a slave, but remember some older HDDs don't work in newer PCs. How old is the HDD. Plus some of these older HDDs can fail without you even knowing it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.