TechSpot

Getting 5.1 surround through S/PDIF 3.5mm jack

By Repjas
Dec 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,

My Asus N53SV laptop has a 3.5mm jack plug which includes a S/PDIF signal. I tried to connect this to a Bose 3 2 1 system, but it turned out as a PCM 2.0 signal. I used a mini 3.5mm S/PDIF to S/PDIF adapter. The video file I played had a AC3 audio format.

I have no idea whether the problem lies with the Bose, the cables or my soundcard? I have Realtek high definition audio.

If you need any more info, please ask. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jasper

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,294   +547

Ok I looked up your laptop on newegg to double check the ports on it (This one correct?). It only does have that one 3.5mm jack for sound, so thats your only option other than the HDMI port. Thing is, im not understanding exactly what kind of adaptor you have because if im understanding, you have an SPDIF to 3.5mm Audio Jack adapter which to be honest ive never seen used. However, if your having trouble using that, its likely the setting on the Adapter, my previous Asus G73 had to have the audio setting adjusted when you plugged something in from that surround sound setup HD audio manager that comes up when you plug something into the port. Change it to surround mode and it should work, but im pretty sure that the 3.5mm jack is not able to output in that high a setting and thats why your having problems.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,976   +956

SPDIF is optical! The 3.5mm jack is electrical. Get over it.

It seems to me, an adapter to do this, would almost be as complicated as the sound card of the motherboard itself. I could be wrong though. It surely won't be the first time.

And for 5.1 (or whatever more than 2 channels), normally the three (3) audio output jacks on the mobo are employed.

Modern A/V receivers are capable of synthesizing multi-channel audio from a 2 channel source. (Phase detection, if memory serves`). In the case of a stereo music source however, (IMHO), it sounds like s***.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

5. captaincranky

I said I could be wrong, and it seems that has come to pass. Stuff happens.

6. LNCPapa

Heh :) Though if the machine GR linked is the one the OP has then I doubt it is capable. It's usually only available on higher model laptops. I have it on both of my MBPs but it doesn't appear to be available on my MBA.

7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

Iirc you cannot output 5.1 uncompressed via a toslink or 3.5mm digital port. You can output 5.1 compressed such as Dolby or DTS. To output 5.1 uncompressed, you would need to go via HDMI or via 3 stereo analogue outputs, 2 channels per 3.5mm jack.

Most soundcards that I know of cannot, on the fly, encode to 5.1 compressed. That feature is DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS Connect and I'd be pretty surprised if any realtek solution did it!

A quote from Wikipedia which supports my statement:
    "where it carries a digital audio stream from components such as CD and DVD players, DAT recorders, computers, and modern video game consoles, to an AV receiver that can decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio"

8. LNCPapa

As far as I know these are all true statements unless things have changed since I learned about this stuff.

9. captaincranky

So, even after admitting I had no idea what I was talking about, I still scored about a C on the test?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.