TechSpot

Getting a Clean Backup from a Vundo Infected Computer

By Shelli
Dec 30, 2009
  1. Good evening,

It seems that my computer has come down with a case of Vundo, of the variety that resurrects itself from an intransigent AppInit_DLLs registry key. Since I use my computer for financial transactions, I have decided that a wipe is in order.

I keep a backup of my files on a separate thumb drive. My last backup was about a week ago, but I have been working since then. I would prefer to get a current backup, if that is possible to do without corrupting my backup drive.

I currently use SyncBack from 2BrightSparks to sync my computer and backup drive. I do not sync any system folders.... I sync the My Documents folder, my IE and Firefox Favorites, and other folders that I created myself.

Will my normal sync process allow me to make a clean backup? If not, is there some other program/process I can use to make a clean backup? Once the backup is complete, is there a way to check the backup drive to confirm that it is clean (I can do this on another computer, if needed)?

Thanks!
    Shelli

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes you can scan the other backups with a good antivirus program. It would be nice if you could do a separate back up, until you can be sure the infection is gone

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.