Getting a new Computer (Finally) Suggestions needed

By GTGear
Jan 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I'm about to get a new PC (Finally). Here are the specs I'm aiming for.

AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 6000+ dual-core - 3.0GHz - or Phenom(TM) 9500 quad-core processor - 2.2GHz (need help choosing)

3GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024,2x512)

GeForce 8600GT, TV-out, DVI-I, HDMI

320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW drive

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Can't decide on the CPU. Any suggestions? and is everything else sufficient to make it a gaming rig.
  2. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 Newcomer, in training Posts: 524

I would go with the quad core, you will have much more power over the Dual Core. Everything else looks good.
  3. tastegw

tastegw TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246

4. Finchy

Finchy Newcomer, in training Posts: 378

I agree with the quad core and 8800GT

The 8800GT is virtually as fast as the GTX but is seriously cheap by comparison, i've also read that the 8600 series is a bit disappointing

For quad-core, go with an Intel Q6600 Energy-Efficient edition with G0 stepping, excellent performance for the money and easily overclockable from stock to 2.4ghz to well over 3.0
  5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Nice and I agree with the suggestions. ATI's 3850 and 3870 video card offerings are also very good suggestions.

What OS have you settled on?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.