Getting a new computer for Gaming, I've got about 1500 to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeye207

Ok so I am finally getting a new computer for gaming, as well as an all around machine ive got about 1500 and I dont really know what to get I dont suck with computers I just dont know what I should have and whats not worth getting. This is my first upgrade it dosnt have to be a top of the line monster but I would like it to last for a few years. This is what I have picked out I havent bought anything yet.

My Components
Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium w/ Digital Cable Support SP1
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
No Monitor
nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included
No Modem Requested

I am kinda a newbie when it comes to compter parts so any help would be awesome.

Also if this is the wrong forum for this if you guys could tell me where to go that would be great I dont want to spam up the place

I know I'm kind of new here, but I may be able to put forth some advice..

What type of Motherboard are you planning on getting?

Is that from a specific site?

No, this forum is fine, since you're dealing with many types of hardware, so this is probably where it should go. It's where I put my countless threads about building a PC at least. I made a post in your other thread anyway.

Also, about motherboards, people will need to know what you intend to do. If you're going to use something like SLI (two video cards linked together, if you didn't already know), that matters, and boards with that could cost over $200. But that means you'll also be buying two video cards to take advantage of that, and I think that would go over your budget. You won't be playing Crysis at high resolution with max settings and a super-smooth framerate, but just one 8800GT is enough to run Crysis on high completely fine all the way through (maybe not the final boss, but it never reached unplayable at any point).

Also, what site/store are you planning to order from? If you're in the U.S., most people would recommend newegg.

It looks like Dell is what he's getting it from to me, and if he is, I highly discourage that for two reasons.

A) Their systems are hardly upgradeable at all, depending on what kind you get I guess.

B) Nobody wants to work on them, so you generally have to send it back to the company, if they ever get problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've had friends with Dells, and when they had to upgrade they had to buy a whole new PC.

I think most Dells would at least have a PCIE slot, so if the power supply is enough, you could probably shove a good video card in one, but that's probably about it.

Depends on how many parts they let someone choose. It looks like he's picking the parts, and is ordering it from somewhere, probably already assembled.

Try reading the buyer's guides on the left hand menu: sharkyextreme.com. They're based on budgets and geared toward gamers. It's a great site for reviews too. If you're familiar with computers and want the best bang for your buck and future flexibilty, I recommend building it yourself. You'll either pay a slight premium to buy a pre-fabbed comp or have some corners cut where you might not notice (ie cheap motherboard is the most common and sometimes problemsome). If you're into playing fps's, you'll want to hand pick your mouse and keyboard too (and likely the monitor as well). You don't want to skimp on peripherals as they have the most direct impact on your playing performance in terms of the computer (perhaps beside the internet connection).

Regarding the 8800 gt look into the Gigabyte. I know you can can get an evga off of TigerDirect for like 140 now, but for the extra 20 you can grab the Gigabyte from newegg.com (both after mail in rebates). correct me someone if I'm wrong, but reading the reviews on the Gigabyte, a good amount of websites were able to produce very impressive overclocks using the software that comes with it, overclocks that were considerably higher than any of the other 8800 gt cards.

and if you're into overclocking, dont forget the $55 e2160 that can hit 3.0-3.4 ghz

Depends on if you're into OC'ing or not, if your not then the $20 is pretty much a waste, unless it's Factory clocks are higher.

And from this guy, he was wanting to buy from Dell, I don't think he knows how to OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back