Getting lag on games I shouldn't be

By UncleZombie
May 5, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So i recently bought myself a Nvidia gtx 280 and a 650 watt power supply.

the main game i am playing is World of Warcraft and team fortress 2.
    I can play TF2 with every thing on high with no lag and get 60 fps but when im playing WoW im getting like 14-30 fps in common areas.when i first bought the card i could have everything on high (including shadows) and get 60 fps its been about a month and its just gone to crap.

Im new to the site so, Was just wondering if you guys have an idea of what i can do/buy to increase my framerate in WoW.

My specs are:
    processor: AMD athlon 64X2 dual core 3800+
    Ram: 2gigs
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

wow is highly dependent on a fast cpu i would say that is the cause of the problem pairing a top end video card with a really low end cpu will make a bottleneck in the game the reason you have a bad frame rate is the shadows on wow kill a cpu unless it is top end. So turn off shadows and that should fix the problem man but besides that a new MB, Cpu, and ram would help alot.
  3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,352   +122

What he said, you could try and turn off AA too.
  4. UncleZombie

UncleZombie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, i don't raid with shadows on nor do i play with AA. I'm thinking its that my computer cant process everything thats going on? And Klepto12, What kind of CPU do you think i should go with? I'm really liking AMD at the moment. And my MB is pretty good id say. My MB is a MSI K9N4 SLI. But off topic, the reason i bought myself the gtx280 is because i had a little ol' nvidia 7300gt which yeah couldn't do much.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.