Getting more ram, Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, im going to get some more ram for my computer, because everyone seems to be doing it :p

i have picked out the ram that i want, and at a great price, but im not sure if it will run pretty smoothly on my computer, soo im sort of here to seek advice...

my specs are...
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon 3200+
Windows XP Home
at the moment i have 2 256 meg sticks in my comp at the moment and room for one more...
the ram sticks i have in there at the moment match one one that im going to buy, but just more ram and err different brand but i dont think that matters much.

if you need more information please ask...

thx for the welcome, umm the ram im getting is a 512 stick of ram, soo it will equal up too 1 gig but the thread says that they dont work correctly or not at all if they are mixed...

soo i got two options, Get rid of the sticks i got now and get 2 512 for $140AUD, or get a gig of ram stick for $126AUD, ohh umm dose Kingston ram work with Asus Mobos

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

That`s true, mixing sizes/speeds etc, might work, but then again it can cause problems.

I`d suggest you go with 2x512 sticks of ram. That way you can run the ram in dual channel mode, if your mobo supports it.

As far as I`m aware, Kingston should run fine, but it might be better to check your mobo manual or the Asus website to make certain.

Regards Howard :)

I agree with Howard, it's not a good idea to mix speeds, sizes, and cas latency's. May I suggest eBay to your old memory, and buying 2x512 of new memory.

I tried to run 2x1gb sticks and then 2x512 sticks, and i have asus mobo as well, did work out too hot

supersmashbrada said:
I tried to run 2x1gb sticks and then 2x512 sticks, and i have asus mobo as well, did work out too hot

"didn't" yeah that's what I meant, man what would I do without you guys

err im gonnja look through my manual and see, thx for all the help guys, im gonna get the 1 gig ram stick cus i dont think that my Mobo supports duel channel, but ill check...

ill keep you posted...

edit: my mobo suppotrsa ddr-400, thats a good thing because, thats what im buying :p

it does have duel channel but i really wanna get the 1 gig one :p

if you read the link howard told you to - it would have told you ASUS motherboards are very picky about brands and types of ram they take. Please re-read the guide.

Tedster said:
if you read the link howard told you to - it would have told you ASUS motherboards are very picky about brands and types of ram they take. Please re-read the guide.

yea mate it said in my manual for my mobo that it takes upto 1 gig sticks, its cool :D, but i have re-read the guild, thank you

Your motherboard does support a dual channel memory configuration although its effectiveness on a Socket-A is very debatable. The memory slot configuration is also a bit exotic since there are 3 slots & the first two slots (closest to the CPU socket) are channel A & the 3rd memory slot is channel B.

For best performance, you should have the same amount of memory on each channel so in your case you should do any of the following combinations:
  • 1x 512mb in slot 1 or 2 + 1x 512mb in slot 3 -> 1024mb total
  • 1x 1024mb in slot 1 or 2 + 1x 1024mb in slot 3 -> 2048mb total
  • 2x 256mb in slot 1 & 2 + 1x 512mb module in slot 3 -> 1024mb total
  • 2x 512mb in slot 1 & 2 + 1x 1024mb in slot 3 -> 2048mb total
or any similar configuration as long as you have the same amount of memory on each channel. Use memory modules running at the same speed as your CPU's FSB (in this case 200MHz/DDR400/PC3200) but even with all these parameters in the clear, the board could still refuse to work properly with your ram as it's quite picky. I know for I've had one myself in the past. :p

Didou said:
  • 2x 256mb in slot 1 & 2 + 1x 512mb module in slot 3 -> 1024mb total

OK soo i can mix 2 types of sizes as long as they are on different channels, because i have
2x 256 Meg Ram sticks, and i want to get 1x 512 ram stick, soo its possable to do that, would it be OK if i did this or will there be more errors or complications if i go with this, or do you think i should just go with the 1 gig ram....

Thanks, keep helping me please :p

2x 256mb + 1x 512mb should work well but like previously said, this motherboard can be quite picky when it comes to ram. The simplest headache free way to upgrade to 1GB would be to get 2x 512mb modules of the same specification & brand. Maybe selling the 2x 256mb you have now could help you finance your upgrade.

Didou said:
2x 256mb + 1x 512mb should work well but like previously said, this motherboard can be quite picky when it comes to ram. The simplest headache free way to upgrade to 1GB would be to get 2x 512mb modules of the same specification & brand. Maybe selling the 2x 256mb you have now could help you finance your upgrade.
lol i dont think i would get any for them, and were would i sell them? because i cant go on ebay and wait for 10 months for them to sell, well since im 17 i cant get on ebay at all lol, but i got told by someone else that getting w 512s would be the best but as i said it cost 140AUD when it only costs 126 for the 1 gig one, soo im still a little confused on what i should do lol, i could speak to my local computer shop, they might have good advice?

You could always ask the shop if they would be willing to buy your ram from you as a rebate for 2x 512mb.

LOL sorry guys but my parents just learnt that putting ram into a computer, could screw it up, and anything that can screw the family computer up is a NO NO Meaning i can NEVER Upgrade my computer...

Hurracane said:
lol i dont think i would get any for them, and were would i sell them? because i cant go on ebay and wait for 10 months for them to sell, well since im 17 i cant get on ebay at all lol, but i got told by someone else that getting w 512s would be the best but as i said it cost 140AUD when it only costs 126 for the 1 gig one, soo im still a little confused on what i should do lol, i could speak to my local computer shop, they might have good advice?
you can sell them on ebay. I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back