Getting new notebook -- question about graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm in the market for a new PC laptop, and I'm curious about my options for the graphics card. The laptop I'm getting will be high-end (around $2500 to $3000 most likely), and of all the sites I've checked out (mainly HP, Sony, and Dell), the best graphics card that I've seen available for any notebook is the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M (there's also the 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon, but I've read that the 1GB GeForce is better). So, my question is -- is the 1GB GeForce the best graphics card out there that a notebook PC can use, or are there better ones that I could buy separately and install myself (or have someone install)? If so, I have two other questions. First, what is the best (or some of the best) graphics cards out there that I could buy and have installed on my laptop when I get it, and where can I find them? Second, how would I go about having the graphics card that I purchased separately installed? Could I do it myself -- remove the one the came with the laptop and install the one I bought separately (or can you install more than one on a single laptop)? Or would I have to take it to a shop to have them install it for me?

Any help regarding all or any of these questions will be very, very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest checking out Alienware (http://www.alienware.com). They are probably the most well known power-house computer manufacture. Check out their M17X laptop and all of the upgrade options.

With regard to installing your own graphics card, I think it really depends on the laptop you get, and from who. A lot of companies are making it easier to get at certain laptop parts, with individual panels on the bottom. I know it's often pretty easy to swap out RAM and I think even hard drives, but I'm not too sure about graphics cards.

Find a laptop you like, and maybe check out some articles about it on the web, or possibly some youtube videos. Many reviewers (including here on Techspot) will give you a picture or two of the bottom, and show you how accessible things are.

I know this didn't fully answer your question, but I hope it helped some :)

Thank you for your reply, treeski. Having still gotten no other responses, I wanted to simplify and clarify my question a bit:

Basically, can anyone tell me if there are any graphics cards out there that can be used in a notebook PC that are superior to the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M? I don't want to spend the hundreds of dollars necessary to upgrade to the 1GB GeForce when customizing my laptop if there's something better out there that I'm going to end up replacing it with anyways. So, is there anything better than the 1GB GeForce that I could purchase separately and install myself (or have installed)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back