Getting really low fps with all video games all of a sudden :(

I have an Alienware m17x and I have been playing games on this primarily using steam for the last year. In that time I have never experienced any FPS problems. Last night I was playing DayZ for a while and it seemed that my charger was getting extremely warm so I stopped playing. Today I tried to play and discovered that my fps was really low. I then tested out Battlefield 3 as it is a graphically challenging game and I had never had problems with it before. It seems I am getting low fps with all of my games and I think it may have something to do with my charger not enhancing performance as it should but I'm not sure because the charger still charges the laptop fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

I have an Alienware m17x and I have been playing games on this primarily using steam for the last year. In that time I have never experienced any FPS problems. Last night I was playing DayZ for a while and it seemed that my charger was getting extremely warm so I stopped playing. Today I tried to play and discovered that my fps was really low. I then tested out Battlefield 3 as it is a graphically challenging game and I had never had problems with it before. It seems I am getting low fps with all of my games and I think it may have something to do with my charger not enhancing performance as it should but I'm not sure because the charger still charges the laptop fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Dude, I have the exact same problem! In fact, I just made the exact same post basically. I have an Alienware m17x. Last night my laptop got very hot, for some reason, and my FPS rates were lower. I can still play games but it seems that it is not as smooth.

Previously when I had FPS problems it was because my "power supply" settings where set to minimum. When I set them back to average it was fine. Today when I set my power settings to maximum power it seems to make my game run fine. But still the problem is why? It should not take maximum power usage. Something is wrong here and I do not know what it is. Maybe the fans need to be dusted?

Back