Getting rid of dualboot of: Windows XP and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I restarted my computer and noticed that I got a dual boot screen where I had to choose which OS to use, however, I didn't try to install any new OS or anything at all. It shows an option of starting:

Windows XP
Windows XP (bootscreen)

I tried both and they're the same (expected..) Anyways, I was wondering how I could get rid of the dual boot screen as I just want to use windows.

Try Start/Run/type "msconfig" in the dialog box, without the quotations/OK

Select the Boot.ini tab, and click the "Check All Boot Paths" button.

If you are presented with one of the boot paths as invalid, and given the delete option, take it. This will remove the invalid boot path and the OS option screen will no longer appear.

jamieem said:
It shows the option of starting:

Windows XP
Windows XP (bootscreen)

I tried both and they're the same (expected..) Anyways, I was wondering how I could get rid of the dual boot screen as I just want to use windows.

By "they're both the same" I assume that each path specified boots you into Windows XP. If my assumption is correct, then try the following:

Start/right click My Computer/Properties/in the StartUp and Recovery section, click Settings/In the System StartUp section, click Edit/your Boot.ini will come up in Notepad.

Save the notepad file, and post it here as an attachment, Using the Managing Attachments button on your posting screen. Under "[Operating systems] you should see two boot paths. So lets take a look at your boot.ini to make sure we delete the correct path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back