Getting Rid of Grub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryejay98

I was running a dualboot of WinXP and RedHat for several months on my computer. Recently I received a second PC which I have dedicated totally to Linux and have removed RH from the original PC. However, Grub is still installed on the MBR.... how do I remove it?

I know I used to just pop in the Win2k CD (when I was running Win2k) and do a FIXMBR ... unfortunately, my copy of WinXP is not a full one - its one of the "restore" CDs that Compaq gives out - so I dont have that option.

Can I use the FIXMBR from Win2K CD?

<shrug> I don't know. I know that worked with DOS and older version of Win9x ...

I just don't want to &*(&( up my HD until I get a clear yes/no answer :)

12. How to uninstall GRUB from my hard disk drive?
There is no concept uninstall in boot loaders, because if you uninstall a boot loader, an unbootable machine would simply remain. So all you need to do is overwrite another boot loader you like to your disk, that is, install the boot loader without uninstalling GRUB.

For example, if you want to install the boot loader for Windows, just run FDISK /MBR on Windows. If you want to install LILO (I can't imagine why you want to do such a thing, though), run /sbin/lilo on GNU/Linux.

source: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q12

I believe that the Windows XP boot loader lives in the bootsector of the windows boot partition (normally active marked primary partition) so an fdisk /mbr would remove the grub code... So I think that if you boot from a DOS diskette and then run the fdisk /mbr command your machine will go straigh to XP bootloader when you start it up.

I say, of course, believe. I have never done this. But thats what the grub faq said, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back