TechSpot

Getting Rid of Grub

By ryejay98
May 7, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was running a dualboot of WinXP and RedHat for several months on my computer. Recently I received a second PC which I have dedicated totally to Linux and have removed RH from the original PC. However, Grub is still installed on the MBR.... how do I remove it?

I know I used to just pop in the Win2k CD (when I was running Win2k) and do a FIXMBR ... unfortunately, my copy of WinXP is not a full one - its one of the "restore" CDs that Compaq gives out - so I dont have that option.

Can I use the FIXMBR from Win2K CD?
  2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Will FDISK /MBR work?
  3. ryejay98

ryejay98 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

<shrug> I don't know. I know that worked with DOS and older version of Win9x ...

I just don't want to &*(&( up my HD until I get a clear yes/no answer :)
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

source: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q12

I believe that the Windows XP boot loader lives in the bootsector of the windows boot partition (normally active marked primary partition) so an fdisk /mbr would remove the grub code... So I think that if you boot from a DOS diskette and then run the fdisk /mbr command your machine will go straigh to XP bootloader when you start it up.

I say, of course, believe. I have never done this. But thats what the grub faq said, so....
  5. ryejay98

ryejay98 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

Well I guess we shall see .... cross your fingers :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.