TechSpot

Getting Rid of Grub

By ryejay98
May 7, 2002
  1. I was running a dualboot of WinXP and RedHat for several months on my computer. Recently I received a second PC which I have dedicated totally to Linux and have removed RH from the original PC. However, Grub is still installed on the MBR.... how do I remove it?

I know I used to just pop in the Win2k CD (when I was running Win2k) and do a FIXMBR ... unfortunately, my copy of WinXP is not a full one - its one of the "restore" CDs that Compaq gives out - so I dont have that option.

Can I use the FIXMBR from Win2K CD?

2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

Will FDISK /MBR work?

3. ryejay98

ryejay98 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

<shrug> I don't know. I know that worked with DOS and older version of Win9x ...

I just don't want to &*(&( up my HD until I get a clear yes/no answer :)

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

source: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q12

I believe that the Windows XP boot loader lives in the bootsector of the windows boot partition (normally active marked primary partition) so an fdisk /mbr would remove the grub code... So I think that if you boot from a DOS diskette and then run the fdisk /mbr command your machine will go straigh to XP bootloader when you start it up.

I say, of course, believe. I have never done this. But thats what the grub faq said, so....

5. ryejay98

ryejay98 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

Well I guess we shall see .... cross your fingers :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.