Gforce Ti4600 and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had trouble with the GF4 and XP?

System AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz 300+ MB RAM, ECS K7AMA mainboard.
latest Detonator Driver. DX 8.1

Installing the Gforce 4 into the above XP machine, we expected to see something blazing fast. What we found were, the demos played horrible, dropping frames, choppy... The Squid demo was horrible, wolfman yuck...

So then we tried Unreal Tournament 4.36, when choosing D3D we had absolutely awful performance, with dropped frames and stutering mouse movement, selecting a resolution change would hang Unreal for a full 30 sec or so until it kicked in. If you backed out and chose OpenGL all the stuttering would go away and gameplay would be more fluid, but the openGL is so dark it makes it almost imposible to play...

Nascar 3's performace in D3D was lackluster as well, OpenGL performance was better, but not what was expected from a $400 video card...

Question is, what CPU is appropriate to run with the GF4 to get the best performance? What settings are suggested in XP to get this card to run correctly. It seems the GF4 works better with windows 98x, is it suggested to just run 9x OS instead of XP... Just the reviews I've read and the benchmarks I've seen and actually installing the card and seeing it operate this way was somewhat dissapointing. I am sure it's configuration of the OS and hardware to get it to work best. I'm up for any suggestions you may have. I always liked NVIDIA's graphics cards and this is the first major speed bump I've run into with'em.....

Thanks for any info or suggestions you could provide.. :)

..Corn

To answer your questions first here ya go:

what CPU is appropriate to run with the GF4 to get the best performance? My advice would be a 1.0 ghz cpu or higher

What settings are suggested in XP to get this card to run correctly? Getting a set of detonator 4 drivers correctly installed is the first step. I would recommend the 28.32's found over at guru3d.com.

It seems the GF4 works better with windows 98x, is it suggested to just run 9x OS instead of XP. Yes, benchmarking junkies will run Win98 to achieve the highest scores, but I bet they are dual booting with XP and when they want to do anything else besides benchmarking they are running XP.

You should really take a good look at your motherboard. Go to ECS and see if there are any bios updates. Also, if the board is via based check out a new set of Via 4 in 1 drivers. Im thinking that this may be your first source of your issue.

Also, check out 3DSpotlight's Geforce Tweaking Guide. Here it is: http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/geforce/index.shtml

Well, read over what I said and provide some feedback that I can comment on.

Also I would recommend a reinstallation of UT if you haven't already. Most people have found that after changing cards their UT performance is either degraded or inconsistent. I would give it a reinstall and see if that helps...

you may try download a newly drivers from ecs website ... coz' i have a mainboard from k7ama series and they have a lot problem .. and i heard that ecs has stopped producting they board based that ali magik1 chip .. like u the one u have it......well if i were u i shpuld have a board based with via chip... that's all

tata....

Ti4600

Thanks for the replies :)

The K7AMA has the latest drivers and BIOS (ALI chhipset). I have tried uninstalling and re-installing UT 4.36... With no better results. I have read the tweaking guide and will try those BIOS settings and see what happens. I will also try the tweaking utility for the G-Force... I will also try the drivers at 3dguru.com...

So far Wolf 3d and Nascar seem to running fine as long as it's running opengl... D3D performance still is not great...

Thanks, when I get my results I will post them here.. :)

..Corn

I recentlly upgraded to a Geforce 4 TI4400 from a GeForce2, I'm running windowsxp as well, and I noticed the same problem when running games in Direct3d. The problems that I have had are constant lockups in the middle of the game, to crashes. I think it has to do with the drivers. I couldn't get the 27.50 to run at all, and now have the 28.32, which is an improvement, but still not error free.

have you tried playing around with AGP and Fastwrite settings? Try running AGP at 2X your aperture at 128mb and make sure fastwrites is disabled. There could be many reasons why your having the issues with the vid card, this is just a start.

Also, make sure you are running a high end PSU. Power Supply's can quietly cause more headaches than you want.

Thanks for the advice "SVT Cobra" . When I first read your advice to reset the AGP to 2x and the memory to 128mb, I really didn't think it would work. After all else failing, I went into my bios and disabled the 4x, then reset the agp to 128mb. I restarted my system and ran MadOnions 3dMark 2001SE test. This is the first time the test has run through completion with the GeForce 4 installed, and my results were a score of 8399 , which is double the score I was getting with my GeForce2GTS. For anyone else having these problems , this is the cure. Once again thanks for the great advice.

Originally posted by Wyatt963
Thanks for the advice "SVT Cobra" . When I first read your advice to reset the AGP to 2x and the memory to 128mb, I really didn't think it would work. After all else failing, I went into my bios and disabled the 4x, then reset the agp to 128mb. I restarted my system and ran MadOnions 3dMark 2001SE test. This is the first time the test has run through completion with the GeForce 4 installed, and my results were a score of 8399 , which is double the score I was getting with my GeForce2GTS. For anyone else having these problems , this is the cure. Once again thanks for the great advice.

Good to hear Wyatt.. Now, try moving the AGP aperture to half the size of your total ram. If you have 256mb ram then you would leave the aperture at 128. If you have 512mb then change the aperture to 256 and see what happens.

Im not sure which one of the two was causing your grief. You should try setting back one to the original setting (before you changed it upon my advice) and see what happens if you even feel like playing around..That score is very impressive.

Thanks again for the advice, I had played with the memory settings with no result. It was when I disabled the AGP4x, that it finally ran, and I have not had one problem since. I just updated the VIA drivers to the recent release 4in1438(2)v(a) and have achieved a new score of 8438.

System specs: Abit Kt7a133,most recent bios, AMD Atholon
Thunderbird 1.4GHZ 266FSB, 512MB system memory, Leadtek GeForce 4 TI4400,IBM GXP60,Windows XP , soundblaster live value soundcard.

Thanks again for the advice, I had played with the memory settings with no result. It was when I disabled the AGP4x, that it finally ran, and I have not had one problem since. I just updated the VIA drivers to the recent release 4in1438(2)v(a) and have achieved a new score of 8438.

Thunderbird 1.4GHZ 266FSB, 512MB system memory, Leadtek GeForce 4 TI4400,IBM GXP60,Windows XP , soundblaster live value soundcard.

I'll have to d'load the newest 4-in-1's..I got the 4.37's now...

I have an abit kt7a too, how did you find out your mobo's version(version 1.0 or 1.3)?

To find which version your Abit kt7a motherboard is, there should be a decal on the side of the last pci slot with the infomation on it. The only problem is you will most likely have to take out your motherboard to see it.

No Luck in XP with GF4

"The K7AMA has the latest drivers and BIOS (ALI chhipset). I have tried uninstalling and re-installing UT 4.36... With no better results. I have read the tweaking guide and will try those BIOS settings and see what happens. I will also try the tweaking utility for the G-Force... I will also try the drivers at 3dguru.com... "

Hi,

Well I tried what I stated above and no luck, the play in XP just wasn't up to par. I ended going back to 98SE and the GF4 works wonderful with it. With the newest drivers. SO no soultion unfortunately for me, except going back to 98SE...

..Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back