Gigabyte 8800GT (HP) fails playing FSX...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron_Nogood

Hi,

I have what I assume is a major issue with my graphics card failing while playing FSX. All of a sudden, the screen turns OFF stating no input signal...I am assuming this is because the graphics card has turned itself off...

There is nothing in the event log to say this has happened and of course I can't see what is going on with the screen because turning it on again only relays the "no input signal" message.

From the jet sound effects, it sounded like the plane itself failed too or I somehow managed to turn the engines off. I had to reboot twice but there is no indication that the game crashed too...

Is it normal for a faulting graphics card to simply shut down? Or is it a power issue?

Rebooting was fine, the card works again...

Hum, it seems this card comes pre-overclocked.

I ran Rivatune on it and the memory was running at 920 mhz. I turned this down to 850mhz and the crash (which happened regular as clockwork on a particular approach), just doesn't happen anymore.

Hope that was it, although annoying that the cards default settings make it unstable...not good for a casual computer user...

It could be your power supply isn't giving it enough juice. This is an HP system where you bought your own 8800GT and put it in? If so I'd take a look at your PSU outputs (on the sticker on the PSU) and compare that to what is recommended for that card.

Hi,

The "HP" is the type of graphics card I have namely GV-NX88T512HP. The system itself was built by me and has a high quality 480W True Blue Antec PSU, which according to the manual for this piece of kit is sufficient. The card came pre overclocked, but I think they may have done a botch job of it so have turned the bus speeds down some and it seems to have stabilised. I also opened up the PCI slot next to the card and it has cooled it vastly (It may actually have been overheating...even though the core temperature remains at a steady 55 degrees, the thing may have been much hotter thanks to the ambient temperature).

By opening the slot, do you mean you mean you have an empty pci slot or you removed the back panel to allow more air flow?

I agree with SNG. Flight Sims are very CPU intensive and GPU memory intensive. I would suggest your PSU is underpowered. Donwnload PC Wizard and install it. THen go to FILE< SAVE AS, and save the text file on your desktop. THen copy the text from that file to this thread.

Downclocking my Graphics Card's memory clock from 920mhz (1840 effective) to 900mhz (1800 effective) seems to have fixed it...no more black outs then crashes. I have read up on the 8800GTs and they appear to have this issue...

I run mine at 740/ 1030, so i would suggest downclocking your ddr3 memory is simply lowering the power requirments. not a great solution, but if you are happy....

Really? Shame. According to the manufactuer (Gigabyte in this case) my Antec 480W PSU should be enough for this card and my processor...

I reckon that the RAM is getting overheated...20mhz is neither here nor there, but I have heard of people with silly wattage getting the same problem. My memory doesn't have any heat sinks and is cooled via the Zalman fan that comes with the board...but since downclocking it I have had no problems...

Possibly. I bought a OC card so the quality of the memory etc is better, thus the better oc.

My card (BFG 0c) has an aluminium heatsink on it so maybe that is why. But tell me something, are you underclocking it below stock? That shouldn't be the case and if so, your card should be RMA'd in my opinion.

Same problem with the 900mhz...hum.

I went to the Antec website and used their PSU calculator and even in the top load, worst case scenarios, they still suggest a PSU with an under 400W rating for my entire system...I don't exactly have a mainframe here. My PSU is a high quality 480W unit. God knows what is going on... I have emailed Gigabyte support again to find out but they have suggested:

"It might be the games play"

That's akin to blaming a PS3 game for a PS3 breaking...what?

I'll wait for their further response...

The lack of an event in the event log is highly interesting. We are not in the dark ages of computing and I would expect an event to be recorded within the milisecononds that the system is failing and don't understand why nothing is being logged!

Two options left IMHO. Try a more powerful PSU (quality), if that doesn't fix it, RMA the card. I had a sound card that did a similar thing and it eventually was the onboard memory that was causing it. It got progressively worse over a period, and not fault finding could sort it until i sent it back to Creative's labs.

Agreed. Sad thing is PSUs are not cheap...looking at 79 sterlings for a quality one...too much of an outlay for a test.I think RMA is the best bet...exceptionally annoying though it is (Back to the 6600GT for me!)

Hi,

This article http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews/liberty/P4.htm suggests that each 12V rail can provide up to 22amps...am I looking for combined values of > 26 or individual rails that can provide 26A.

Says 32 combined amperage.

It should be compatible. I have a Gigabyte GA965P-S3 motherboard, Intel E6420 (not much!), my Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP graphics card (the subject!), a couple of sticks of DDR 2 and some normal drives. No raid. This thing appears to provide the necessary motherboard connector, sata connectors, PCI-E connectors etc. It is probably going to be overkill for my modest system...but stability costs...

Checking the Amperage ratings in the article from Guru3D, and my PSU Manual, I can see the thing is a 28Amp unit...It's the True480...which would fit into your guide amount.

Donwnload PC Wizard and install it. THen go to FILE< SAVE AS, and save the text file on your desktop. THen copy the text from that file to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back