Gigabyte Aorus Gen5 SSD gets upgraded to 12,000 MB/s

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: Solid-state drives that employ the PCIe 5.0 standard are still relatively new, often characterized by high prices and massive heatsinks. However, Gigabyte's latest product showcases notable advancements and indicates potential improvements based on the SSD controller.

Gigabyte has released a new iteration of its Aorus Gen5 PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD. The new drive arrives just months after the company's initial PCIe 5.0 drive, with the latest model boasting approximately 20 percent faster read and write speeds.

The 2TB Aorus Gen5 12000, as its name suggests, supports sequential read speeds of 12.4 GB/s and write speeds of 11.8 GB/s. Even the 1TB variant, which offers 11.7 GB/s read and 9.5 GB/s write speeds, surpasses the 2TB Aorus Gen5 10000 that Gigabyte launched in April.

While these performance figures are notable, other specifications have remained consistent. The preceding model's warranty – either five years or 1,400 terabytes written – is still in place, as is the use of Micron's 3D TLC NAND flash. Gigabyte has yet to disclose pricing or availability for the new drive. However, the original 10000 model is currently priced at $290, a reduction from its original MSRP of $340.

The Gen5 12000's performance appears to fully utilize the widely-used Phison PS5026-E26 8-channel controller's 12GB/s read speed, paralleling the Crucial T700's output and outstripping most competing PCIe 5.0 drives. However, Tom's Hardware has reported that the E26 can achieve 14GB/s, suggesting that Gigabyte might have additional room for enhancement.

While PCIe 5.0 SSDs are still somewhat of a rarity, models that can hit 14GB/s are even scarcer. A notable exception is Adata's forthcoming NeonStorm, which will employ Silicon Motion's NVMe 2.0-compliant SM2508 controller and be available in capacities of up to 8TB. As current benchmarks from the Crucial T700 demonstrate, all PCIe 5.0 drives need heatsinks nearly the size of the primary unit to prevent significant performance drops. The NeonStorm, however, takes SSD cooling a step further by incorporating dual fans and liquid cooling.

The size of these heatsinks inherently limits the motherboards that can fully support PCIe 5.0 drives. In the context of the Aorus Gen5, Gigabyte prudently provided a list of incompatible motherboards. As expected, mini-ITX systems don't make the cut. Other non-compatible motherboards encompass Micro-ATX B550, B560, B660, B790, and B760 variants.

Since those tend to be budget boards, owners are unlikely to be PCIe 5.0 early adopters. It remains unclear how or when the technology will become mature enough to accommodate smaller and cheaper systems. One sign to watch for might be when the two most popular SSD brands, Samsung and Western Digital, migrate to the new standard.

Permalink to story.

Based on the size of that cooler, PCIe5.0 disks are still some years away from being fully utilized in small form factor and mini PCs, given that the cooler would double their size or require some *very* creative use of risers and distribution of components.

The gigabyte aorus gen5 10000 ssd 2tb is already selling for double the price of the 2 terabyte 990pro. I can imagine that these new flagship will be even more expensive to recuperate the loss in revenue from the drop in prices for gen 4 storage.

Get a ruler, it's sequential speed epeen measuring time.
wake me up when nvme's do +200mb/s random read, I might have a use for one.

Never been so glad to have skipped PCIe Gen 5 on AM5...

Bought a B650 motherboard, and it was the best decision.

I honestly don't know where the benefit is to gen5 SSDs unless you're running some sort of beasty database or file server that has a ridiculous number of requests constantly. In ordinary situations no one will benefit even past a gen3 x4 SSD for a good 5 years.

Clearly the OP is enchanted by shiny baubles. In the real world this makes ZERO difference to the end user. Random IOP's have barely nudged from Gen to Gen 5, but we have now reached imbecilic levels of heat and power usage and farcical heatsinks. Gen 5 is a sad sick joke.

Clearly the OP is enchanted by shiny baubles. In the real world this makes ZERO difference to the end user. Random IOP's have barely nudged from Gen to Gen 5, but we have now reached imbecilic levels of heat and power usage and farcical heatsinks. Gen 5 is a sad sick joke.
The glass is half full, at least for end consumer, the practical pcie gen 3/4 stuff is becoming cheaper by the day. Now more than ever density>speed imo.

Last edited:
I wonder what the temperature is like on this drive at full loud.
We can probably extrapolate something close to this from the Tweaktown review of the
"The AORUS Gen5 10000 SSD with Thermal Guard XTREME heatsink is perfect for those who have motherboards with Gen5 M.2 slots that do not have adequately sized or engineered integrated cooling solutions. What we like about what GIGABYTE has come up with is that it is highly effective at taming Gen5 thermals and, more importantly, passively silent. During our testing, GIGABYTE's nanocarbon-coated heatsink kept our temps below 60c the entire time. This is a 10c cushion as throttling kicks in at 70c."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1...-10000-ssd-2tb-the-silent-assassin/index.html

Are they trying to compete with GPU sizes?
Also, random read/write speed is more important than sequential speed.

I accidently bought a SATA M2 for my last build's boot drive. On realizing my mistake I purchased a PCIe 4 M2 and replaced it. The result? Well it gives me really nice big numbers when I benchmark it. But that's about it. Win 10 doesn't get to desktop any faster. Maybe it shaved a second or two off, but I don't notice it.

I accidently bought a SATA M2 for my last build's boot drive. On realizing my mistake I purchased a PCIe 4 M2 and replaced it. The result? Well it gives me really nice big numbers when I benchmark it. But that's about it. Win 10 doesn't get to desktop any faster. Maybe it shaved a second or two off, but I don't notice it.
Boot times are one thing, I recall playing Paragon before Fortnite dropped and those epic updates use to saturate my writes although this was 1st generation sata 6 gig controller on x56 platform with crucial m500 ssd 500 gig. I would say at a minimum sata 6 controller ssd with today's push for direct drive games is needed. When I went from the sata 6 ssd to the 970 evo plus version 2 terabyte this improved wait times across the board and not just in boot times but windows updates, installing games, drivers, patches, game load times. With my current 990pro 2 terabyte on x670e platform I do feel a subjective improvement and literally don't wait for anything. I bought my 990pro 2 terabyte at launch for $290 and it's currently selling for less than half that. I have no regrets in the performance department, the data corruption also stabilized at 98% with the latest software for past 5 months. The only regret was not going for a 4 terabyte WD - BLACK SN850X 4TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe
which has almost a perfect user reviews for those interested

WD - BLACK SN850X 4TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe

Back