Gigabyte EP45-ud3L Mobo runs hot

By blickquickly
May 4, 2009
  1. I have (as the title suggests) a gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3L Motherboard. The BIOS/CMOS is seated right under my eVGA geForce 8800 GTS video card (which seems to be a very bad design flaw IMO) causing it to reach temps of 60C+. I know this is hot, but I cant help but think the designers HAD to know this would happen. There is only one PCIE16x slot on this mobo and I dont have a choice as to where the graphics card gets to go. The back of this graphics card is very hot to the touch.

So, with this in mind, I was thinking of getting a 4pin system fan and just rigging it up to sit there and blow air on that spot. Im assuming that would be fine, but I wanted some observations from some more tech-savvy people. More importantly, has anyone else encountered this problem with these mobos?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

I use the same motherboard with a 9600 video card, with no heat issues. It may be the video card itself that is causing this overheating. My case has a 120mm front and rear fan. The Nvidia 9600 has its own fan, and it runs cool
  3. blickquickly

blickquickly TS Rookie Topic Starter

My card also has its own fan, but it runs VERY hot. I cant touch the back side of it for more than a second or two. Apparently this is par for the course with these GPUs. I added a spot fan with has dropped the BIOS/CMOS temp 10C or so, but even with no computing or anything happening it runs at 45C (55C when gaming).
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Did you just build this system recently? I upgraded my system with this motherboard last month. Your 8800 might have its fan/heatsink improperly installed or assembled with no thermal compound
  5. SineSurfer

SineSurfer TS Rookie Posts: 46

Add more case fans.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.