Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 Intel Z68 Motherboard Review

After the great hoax of PCI 3.0 "Ready" Gen3 "Support", I don't anymore trust Gigabyte. Since there's many other still more faithful companies, I'd rather get one from those.

And I mean it. I don't like when they treat us like sheep. Yes, I'm just one. I'm not able to make even the least difference.

Those niceties make the G1.Sniper2 one of the most expensive Z68 motherboards available, which begs the question: are you getting your money's worth?

Wonderfully said, and my answer is I dont think so. A few fancy heatsinks, plus a network and sound card chipset built-in does not constitute a $230 premium [This board is $360 board, compared to a good $130 Z68 motherboard, the difference, or premium is $230.]

Something tells me I could get a better sound card and perhaps network card for the $115 each from my (practical) artificial figures above.

How about a clear cmos button on the back for the hard core gurus. Or a link that hooks up a clear cmos jumper to a USB port on front of your rig. Then throw on a Gigabyte USB dongle thats nothing more then a button so you dont have to reach behind the machine to press it.

An OC button, really? Thats telling me the board is for the boys with more money than sense.

---agissi--- said:
Thats telling me the board is for the boys with more money than sense.

We've come to expect such over-the-top marketing/gimicks to be covering up an otherwise sub-par product... kinda like the special effects in a Michael Bay film. That's not really the case here though, as this board does deliver on the benchmarks. But when you throw price back into the mix you realize you're paying for the colors, packaging, heatsink, and the hope that owning such a cool product will overshadow the fact that computer gaming is such a dorky hobby. Gigabyte should realize that most of us know this (and don't fall for it)... and should leave off the skulls and throw in a BIOS OC profile or two.

---agissi--- said:
Something tells me I could get a better sound card and perhaps network card for the $115 each from my (practical) artificial figures above.

Sure -- and let's all be clear about this: It's all made in the same Chinese or Taiwanese factories. You're paying for a nicer finish, MAYBE some somewhat higher-grade components -- but at the end of the day, we're all paying for technology that is gonna be obsolete in six months to a year.

Let's stop fooling ourselves into believing the hype. Let's also figure out how America can start competing -- by perhaps relocating some factories HERE. There are lots of low-skilled workers who are dying (literally) for the chance to make less-than-minimum wage right here on THESE shores. And they'll do it proudly.

I should know. I'm one of 'em.

- S

The Z68 was meant for upper mainstream boards. Paying $360 for a Z68 board, even one with beefed up hardware like the Sniper 2, doesn't make sense especially with rumored coming launch of Intel's next generation X79 / Socket 2011 boards.

Certainly doesn't appear to have the feature set you would expect for the highest priced Z68 board on newegg. Looks like you're paying a high premium for the Creative audio and Bigfoot Killer nic, that's assuming that the green and black plastic come at no extra charge.

The G1.Sniper2 got a glowing product byte (not be confused with a "review"), in this month's CPU Magazine. William Van Winkle closed his commentary with this:

"Incredibly we didn't have a single hitch reviewing the G1.Sniper2. This bulletproof board is to die for."

Back