TechSpot

Gigabyte HD 6970

By tux
Jan 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi peeps,

I just recently purchased this card every hour or so my game freezes and goes to desktop sometimes it says "display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"
    Iv'e installed all latest drivers even did a format still happens.Any ideas???

Fairly new system

i7990x @3.47ghz
    12GB Vengance Corsair
    Asus rampage 3 Black edition
    Corsair tx850watt
    Seagate barracuda 1TB
    Windows 7 64bit
  2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 636   +117

Have you overclocked it?
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Check your GPU voltage in the Catalyst control centre. Maybe it's not getting enough
  4. tux

tux TS Rookie Topic Starter

No I havnt overclocked it and what should my gpu voltages be?
  5. R3DP3NGUIN

R3DP3NGUIN TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

Mine has done that alot in the past, my problem was overheating on stock, when gaming I change the fan speed to above 50%.
  6. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 636   +117

It could be overheating. Can you find out what Temperature it's at when this happens?
  7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Here is the specific support file from AMD regarding your error and with you already doing some troubleshooting of drivers & formatting it may very well be a heating problem. Install MSI Afterburner and let us know what temperatures you climb to when this happens; you can also use Afterburner to manually change your fan speed without needing to go through CC.
  8. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

I would suspect overheating first, not enough power from your powersupply second. Take the side panel off and point a big fan at the computer. If its no longer overheating you know it was overheating with the side panel on. If it still crashes just the same no matter how cool you make it (put a fan in the window if its winter and aim that at the computer's innards) then it must be an insufficient powersupply choking the videocard of the voltage/amperage it needs.
    Edit: Thats a very power hungry card so it could indeed be a powersupply wattage issue. Thats a good way to kill a card too. Enough of that low power business and she'll pass away.
  9. Dpatt711

Dpatt711 TS Rookie

Download MSI after-burner and keep eye on temps...
  10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +174

TX850 is a pretty decent PSU... should handle any single GPU config easily. AMD's specs say min 550W PSU for a HD6970 and those Corsairs are pretty efficient. Unless it is faulty of course ;)
  11. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Oh sorry about that yeah your right. I hadnt looked at his PSU in the specs XD

12. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 559   +11

are all the drivers up to date for the card?
  13. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

I've had this issue before, it was caused by overheating of the card.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.