Gigabyte HD 6970

Hi peeps,

I just recently purchased this card every hour or so my game freezes and goes to desktop sometimes it says "display driver has stopped responding but has recovered"
Iv'e installed all latest drivers even did a format still happens.Any ideas???

Fairly new system

i7990x @3.47ghz
12GB Vengance Corsair
Asus rampage 3 Black edition
Corsair tx850watt
Seagate barracuda 1TB
Windows 7 64bit

Check your GPU voltage in the Catalyst control centre. Maybe it's not getting enough

Mine has done that alot in the past, my problem was overheating on stock, when gaming I change the fan speed to above 50%.

Here is the specific support file from AMD regarding your error and with you already doing some troubleshooting of drivers & formatting it may very well be a heating problem. Install MSI Afterburner and let us know what temperatures you climb to when this happens; you can also use Afterburner to manually change your fan speed without needing to go through CC.

I would suspect overheating first, not enough power from your powersupply second. Take the side panel off and point a big fan at the computer. If its no longer overheating you know it was overheating with the side panel on. If it still crashes just the same no matter how cool you make it (put a fan in the window if its winter and aim that at the computer's innards) then it must be an insufficient powersupply choking the videocard of the voltage/amperage it needs.
Edit: Thats a very power hungry card so it could indeed be a powersupply wattage issue. Thats a good way to kill a card too. Enough of that low power business and she'll pass away.

Edit: Thats a very power hungry card so it could indeed be a powersupply wattage issue. Thats a good way to kill a card too. Enough of that low power business and she'll pass away.

TX850 is a pretty decent PSU... should handle any single GPU config easily. AMD's specs say min 550W PSU for a HD6970 and those Corsairs are pretty efficient. Unless it is faulty of course ;)

Back