Gigabyte M52L-S3P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Bought this motherboard today. Was all happy about it and all. Got home, took my old motherboard out and put this one in. Plugged in everything correctly and double checked it. Everything went fine. Switched my computer on, bios screen shows up, pressed DEL to go into the bios and play around with the settings that please me the most, when suddenly my computer switches off by itself. From there on, I can't seem to switch on with this motherboard on. At first, it would switch on for less than a second and then now doesn't even do that. It just lights up the power led for less than a second and bam, doesn't switches on.I've tried switching on with a different PSU, but it didn't work either. I've tried also only switching it on with nothing but PSU cables, memory and cpu and it didn't work either. Does anyone have any clues about what is happening? Getting a bit frustrated here.

EDIT:

Switched it on after some frustrating hours and I noticed something strange. Without the 12V power connector, it switches on, but if I plug it in, it just doesn't. Faulty motherboard?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Zotac GTX 260
Corsair XSM2 2gb
ColoursIT 600w PSU

All the components are working properly.

Just checking but did you remove the old thermal compound on the CPU and replace it with fresh compound?

Sorry for double post. Anyway, I've tried everything I could with it. It only switches on when it doesn't have the ATX12V cable connected to it.

You can always edit your posts to avoid double posting. Anyway, I know it's a lot of trouble but try setting up the motherboard outside the case. Place it on a soft, non-conducting, static free surface and hook up minimal connections and try to start it. Leave your optical drives, floppy (if you have one) and hard drive disconnected, both power and data cables. If it was shorting on the case somehow, this would eliminate that possibility. If it does the same thing outside the case, then we've learned something.

Edit: How did you check your power supply? How do you know it's good?

I tried a different power supply and it did exactly the same thing. I tried the power supply on my other system aswell. I've thought about what you said and I'll do it first thing tomorrow. Thanks for your quick replies :)

EDIT: Took your advice and put the motherboard outside the case etc, it still does the exact same thing. So, we can rule out the possibility of shorting inside the case. Any more ideas?

It appears to be narrowing down to a bad motherboard. All of your components worked in the old motherboard, correct? What was wrong with your old motherboard or is it still working? If it's still working, have you already tried putting your old motherboard back? If it works, the new motherboard has to be defective. It should be under warranty.

Yes, they work perfectly. The only reason i bought a new motherboard is because of the sata cable connectors on my old motherboard. It's not an ATX motherboard so I decided to get an ATX one so my graphics card wouldn't stick right on top of the sata connectors. About the old motherboard, yes, I'm using it right now and always has been. I've tried everything I could with it. I give up. Phoned the computer shop, explained all about the problem the motherboard is having and they told me to drop by and see if they could test it out and see what's causing the problem. But my bet is faulty motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back