Gigabyte U2442F 14-inch Ultrabook Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/666-gigabyte-u2442f-ultrabook/]https://www.techspot.com/review/666-gigabyte-u2442f-ultrabook/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Bringing a product to the market at the very end of the current hardware generation isn't a good strategy.

With Haswell just a few days away, who wants to invest into the almost obsolete Ivy Bridge platform? Performance of the graphics alone, as reported by this article, should discourage you, and this is where Haswell is expected to excel with the new HD series.

Bringing a product to the market at the very end of the current hardware generation isn't a good strategy.

With Haswell just a few days away, who wants to invest into the almost obsolete Ivy Bridge platform? Performance of the graphics alone, as reported by this article, should discourage you, and this is where Haswell is expected to excel with the new HD series.

Haswell is just a few days away? I'm waiting on Haswell for my next ultrabook and wondering when it'll be widely available. Where'd you source your info?

It looks a little.. ehhmm, "old fashioned" if you will (once you flip it open) but with those specs I can look past that.

Intel will be releasing their Haswell CPU line in early June, which will have tremendous power saving improvements, among other things. Unless your laptop/ultrabook/whatever breaks and you simply cannot live without one until Haswell CPU-using devices start coming out, I'd wait.

I have to say though, dual HDDs and discrete graphics in a 1.69 kg package? My 17" cafeteria tray of a laptop has those... and it weighs ~3.2 kg. I cannot wait to upgrade.

Gigabyte is like Vizio, they are new to the business, and thus, I wouldnt trust them. I think Gigabyte should have lost the stickers on the PC, it gives it a cheap look.

Gigabyte is like Vizio, they are new to the business, and thus, I wouldnt trust them. I think Gigabyte should have lost the stickers on the PC, it gives it a cheap look.

I owned my first Gigabyte laptop a decade ago now, it featured a Intel Pentium M processor and was rather well made for the time. I used it for 4 years before upgrading and then a family member used it for another 3-4 years before giving it away so it certainly went the distance. Ohh and you can peel the stickers off very easily ;)

I owned my first Gigabyte laptop a decade ago now, it featured a Intel Pentium M processor and was rather well made for the time. I used it for 4 years before upgrading and then a family member used it for another 3-4 years before giving it away so it certainly went the distance. Ohh and you can peel the stickers off very easily ;)
I have actually never seen one here in the US. I guess they arent advertised enough.

Haswell is just a few days away? I'm waiting on Haswell for my next ultrabook and wondering when it'll be widely available. Where'd you source your info?

The first wave of products is expected from Apple. The updated line of Macbook Pro and Macbook Air is expected to be announced some time before the end of May. And the first Haswell products (beside Apple) are expected in June.

Back