TechSpot

Gigabyte's X99M-Gaming 5 crams Haswell-E platform into a microATX motherboard

By Shawn Knight
Nov 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Intel's Haswell-E platform is currently the top choice among those looking to build the fastest desktop possible. It's a popular pick for high-end, multi-card gaming but of course, not everyone is intent on loading an X99 board with as many...

Read more

2. One of my Z68 pcie slots was dodgy and me being a multi gpu user, I looked into upgrading to the X99 chipset, with a view to using the old Z68 in a htpc build. Price v performance is ridiculous for X99 so I ended up ordering a 4790k and Z97 mobo for less than half the money of the newer platform. I do have the money to buy X99 but honestly, I would feel like I was being ripped off.

3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 350   +103

It's more about do you NEED the benefits of 6/8 cores + HT or no? Prices are insanely high because it's new hardware, extreme edition chips are not really all that needed. Unless you're looking to do some serious multitasking, that would tax your hardware and you need said threads.

4. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 707   +168

Who would want to build an X99 rig using a microATX format...