Gigahertz dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

hi, i know for a fact that my processor is 2.13 ghz.. after i updated my bios, i checked "My Computer" properties and it now says 1.25 ghz.. i went into the bios and selected load high performance settings and it only brought it up to 1.28 ghz.. this is making my very upset. can anyone help me? has anyone heard of this happening?

MSI KT4VL VIA-KT400 DDR400 WITH 10/100 LAN, USB 2.0 + 8X AGP MAIN BOARD
AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ [2.13 GHZ QuantiSpeed] 333FSB SOCKET A CPU
420 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Go into your bios and make sure that the fsb(front side bus) is set to 166mhz

Your cpu should now be at the correct speed.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

when i tried that i got an error blue screen saying something about not ACPI compliant.. then when i went to restart it, it gave me 3 long beeps, then pause and repeated the beeps.. i restarted again and luckily was able to get into the bios and set it back to 100mhz... do you know what happened and how i can fix it

Yes sorry the AMD xp 2600+ comes in several different flavours either running at 166mhz fsb or 133mhz fsb.

Go back into your bios and set the fsb to 133mhz that should do it.

Regards Howard :eek: :eek:

The only thing i can think of is that the multiplier is set to 12.5 instead of 16.

But I don`t know what would cause this as usually the mobo should detect the correct multiplier for your cpu.

I will try and find out and get back to you when I know more.

Regards Howard :(

some cpus will not properly run at thier specified speeds, it happens all too frequently with AMD processors, a problem that has plagued AMD since thier k-5 and knockoff 486's. you may have to settle for a slower speed or change your hardware/bios version.

how can i set my bios to its original version? i updated my bios because i thought i needed to for my video card to work, but that wasn't the case.

Just a thought. have you tried clearing the cmos?

This will set your bios to the default settings.

Then after clearing cmos you can go into bios and set the fsb to 133mhz.

Maybe the mobo will then detect the correct multiplier for your cpu.

I don`t know if this will work but I think that it`s worth a shot.

when i set my fsb to 133mhz, my computer was restarting every 10 minutes... i set it back to 100mhz and it hasn't restarted yet.. clearing the cmos... you mean taking the cmos battery out and putting it back in?

You can clear the Cmos by taking the battery out for about 20 seconds or so and then putting it back in.

Also you can clear the Cmos by using the jumper on your mobo. Take a look at your mobo manual.

You can reflash your Bios back to the old version.

Usually when you flash Bios it asks you if you want to backup the old Bios, did you do this. If so just select that version to flash.

If not you will have to find and download the old version of your Bios and reflash.

i was never asked to backup the old bios. how can i can find out what my original bios revision was?

Your mobo book or mobo disk may tell you what version of Bios it was using.

Other than that it may be tricky but you could try contacting MSI and asking them.

regards Howard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back