Global spam rate falls by 33.6% after Rustock's demise

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Spam levels have decreased by 33.6% only two weeks after Microsoft tackled the Rustock botnet according a Symantec MessageLabs Intelligence report (PDF). It's estimated that 83.1% of all global spam was sent from botnets in March and prior to its takedown, Rustock was responsible for 28.5% of that junk mail, sending as much as 13.82 billion spam emails per day. A few months earlier in late 2010, Rustock was behind as much as 47.5% of all spam, sending roughly 44.1 billion emails daily.

Although Rustock's takedown represents a massive success for Microsoft and law enforcement agencies, Symantec notes that the operators could stage a comeback. Additionally, Rustock's absence has caused other botnets to increase their activities to capitalize on the gap in the market. "Bagle" is now the largest botnet and has ramped up its activity to some 8.31 billion spam emails a day -- its highest output since October 2009 when it accounted for approximately 12.2% of global spam.

Some 12.4% of all spam came from the Russian Federation, making it the most frequent source of spam during March. This is mostly attributed to the fact that Russia is home to large botnets including Bagle, Lethic and Maazben. India has the second highest spam rate at 8.8% and Brazil follows at 5.9%. US-based operations were responsible for 4.5% of spam, ahead of the Ukraine (4.4%), Colombia (3.9%), Romania (3.8%), Argentina (2.8%), Vietnam (2.5%) and the Republic of Korea (2.5).

Permalink to story.

I wish they would shut them down all at the same time...
And I wish there was a way of not getting spam, I get a little spam, not much, it's just 1 to many...
I just spend 5 minutes, checking them and marking them as spam, spam filters are getting bigger..

Oh well some day they will come up with some thing, I wish MS would pay some hackers to hack the spammers and destroy them some how.

I just hate spam big time...

argghhh...

How do you know that this is not already being done?!?!?!? ^^~hacout

Oh well some day they will come up with some thing, I wish MS would pay some hackers to hack the spammers and destroy them some how.

Yeah, that would have been a nice thought. One thing though; Microsoft could risk all-out cyberwarfare. And that would not govern anyone, really. Alas Microsoft has a great relation with both hackers and crackers, so at least something might happen regarding the global multi-percentage rate of this blasphemy known as spam.

To bad the CCCP is not around (in name anyway), cause they'd just round up everyone with a computer and shoot them. Problem solved.

Very disappointed. I respect the people that can make a living off of spam.

Spam is great, I eat it biweekly.

That joke's about as old as "Pull my finger"...

I don't get a sniff of spam from Gmail or Yahoo...Hotmail on the other hand is just a meat factory. Mine ain't gone down 33.6%.

Mine hasn't gone down by 33.6% either, but fortunately the vast majority is going straight to the spam folder.

Where the heck is Jack Bauer when you need him? He would take out all the spammers in 24 hours XD
I'll let someone else say something about Chuck Norris.

I do wonder what kind of spam he was doing. Also I am surprised that hackers are not hacking these spammers.

Dunno about this story but im very happy I just found out I won the NIGERIAN lottery, What was the email doing in spam!? I just sent them all my bank details I will be rich soon suckers!

Benny26 said:
Spam is great, I eat it biweekly.

That joke's about as old as "Pull my finger"...

I don't get a sniff of spam from Gmail or Yahoo...Hotmail on the other hand is just a meat factory. Mine ain't gone down 33.6%.

If someone is cautious, I don't think they'll get much spam on any of the mail options i.e. gmail/hotmail/or yahoo etc. I hardly every get any spam (even that mostly end up in the spam folder any way) and I've been using Yahoo and Hotmail since well whatever.

sick of spam? use gmail... problem solved...

Had gmail for 2 years now... never hide my email addy, post on forums, warez boards, facebook, etc etc... not 1 spam in inbox in 2 years...

Back