Global spam rate falls by 33.6% after Rustock's demise

By Matthew
Mar 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Spam levels have decreased by 33.6% only two weeks after Microsoft tackled the Rustock botnet according a Symantec MessageLabs Intelligence report (PDF). It's estimated that 83.1% of all global spam was sent from botnets in March and prior to its takedown, Rustock was responsible for 28.5% of that junk mail, sending as much as 13.82 billion spam emails per day. A few months earlier in late 2010, Rustock was behind as much as 47.5% of all spam, sending roughly 44.1 billion emails daily.

Read the whole story

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

I wish they would shut them down all at the same time...
    And I wish there was a way of not getting spam, I get a little spam, not much, it's just 1 to many...
    I just spend 5 minutes, checking them and marking them as spam, spam filters are getting bigger..

Oh well some day they will come up with some thing, I wish MS would pay some hackers to hack the spammers and destroy them some how.

I just hate spam big time...

3. How do you know that this is not already being done?!?!?!? ^^~hacout
  4. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Yeah, that would have been a nice thought. One thing though; Microsoft could risk all-out cyberwarfare. And that would not govern anyone, really. Alas Microsoft has a great relation with both hackers and crackers, so at least something might happen regarding the global multi-percentage rate of this blasphemy known as spam.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

To bad the CCCP is not around (in name anyway), cause they'd just round up everyone with a computer and shoot them. Problem solved.
  6. Very disappointed. I respect the people that can make a living off of spam.
  7. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

Spam is great, I eat it biweekly.
  8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,840   +884

where is anonymous saving us from all the spam?
  9. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

That joke's about as old as "Pull my finger"...

I don't get a sniff of spam from Gmail or Yahoo...Hotmail on the other hand is just a meat factory. Mine ain't gone down 33.6%.
  10. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

Mine hasn't gone down by 33.6% either, but fortunately the vast majority is going straight to the spam folder.
  11. Thank you Microsoft for putting a dent into spam.
  12. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +483

Where the heck is Jack Bauer when you need him? He would take out all the spammers in 24 hours XD
    I'll let someone else say something about Chuck Norris.

I do wonder what kind of spam he was doing. Also I am surprised that hackers are not hacking these spammers.
  13. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

Dunno about this story but im very happy I just found out I won the NIGERIAN lottery, What was the email doing in spam!? I just sent them all my bank details I will be rich soon suckers!
  14. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

Another lucky winner :)
  15. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

If someone is cautious, I don't think they'll get much spam on any of the mail options i.e. gmail/hotmail/or yahoo etc. I hardly every get any spam (even that mostly end up in the spam folder any way) and I've been using Yahoo and Hotmail since well whatever.
  16. sick of spam? use gmail... problem solved...

Had gmail for 2 years now... never hide my email addy, post on forums, warez boards, facebook, etc etc... not 1 spam in inbox in 2 years...
  17. j05hh

j05hh TS Booster Posts: 138   +22

Don't use gmail? route your email through google postini. Does a great job.
  18. Where can we effectively report spam?

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

can the hackers right a program
    so we can reverse and send back all the spam 1000 fold ????????