TechSpot

Gmail finally overtakes Hotmail as world's top email service

By Jos
Nov 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Internet analytics firm comScore is putting an end to any disputes about Gmail's dominance in the webmail market -- in case you were keeping scores. According to their traffic data for October, Google's email service has finally overtaken Hotmail with...

Read more

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

Well that didn't take long.

3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 892   +133

I'm not surprised. Gmail has been the go-to service for a while. Microsoft's relaunched Outlook.com is pretty great, but the company hasn't done anything to market it.

4. Every Android has a mandatory GMail account for using the market place and hotmail is on the way out, being replaced by the new Outllook platform.

So, no surprise really.

GMail is fairly naff though. I have one for my tablet but never look at it.

5. I did not know it even existed anymore.

6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

This.

However

Verizon forced me to make a gmail account, I still have it and like it way more then yahoo, its nice and simple, no ads slamming my face. Not to say there is anything wrong with hotmail.

7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,372   +407

People are still using HotMail?

8. gcarter

gcarter TS Rookie Posts: 44   +13

I only keep a hotmail account to act as a contact account should my gmail become compromised.
    In all honesty, hotmail seems to mark a lot of legitimate email as spam.

9. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

I prefer my Gmail over Hotmail. I only seem to get spam through my Hotmail account.

10. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Windows Live Messenger is legit :|

I think it lets you use other emails to register though. I seen numerous logins from people using gmail accounts among other that weren't yahoo or windows live emails.

11. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 617   +96

Why don't you do what I did in like 2004 switch your spam filter on in hotmail and only emails that are on your approved list get in. The rest go into the junk mail filter!

12. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

Yahoo mail is just bad.

13. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

Oh my, just look at that chart

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.