Gmail gets drag-and-drop attachments, better calendar tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Google has added a couple of useful features to Gmail which are now available directly on the main client without them having to graduate from Labs. The first is based on HTML 5 and will allow users to drag-and-drop files as attachments to their emails, replacing the usual method of clicking the 'attach a file' option. Just grab a file or multiple files off your desktop, drag it into a Gmail compose window and it will automatically be uploaded and attached to your message.

It's not an earth-shattering new feature, but it makes sending files quick and easy. It currently works on Chrome 4 or Firefox 3.6 only, but according to Google Engineer Adam de Boor, the feature will be enabled for other browsers too as soon as they correctly support the HTML 5 drag-and-drop functionality.

The second new feature comes in the form of a little "insert invitation" link just at the bottom of the subject line of outgoing e-mails. When clicked, it opens a Google Calendar invitation-maker that includes a visual of when there are open times to meet based the invitees' schedules (provided you have access to view their Google Calendars).

Permalink to story.

This is a very useful features for people who are not so computer savvy, or even people like me who frequently attach files.

eh, doesn't work in Opera. They should put more energy into making it work it with Opera (or Opera more energy into making it work with gmail).

@SNGX1275
"according to Google Engineer Adam de Boor, the feature will be enabled for other browsers too as soon as they correctly support the HTML 5 drag-and-drop functionality."

It helps when you pay attention while reading :D

line one is a useful comment -- no one will appreciate line two.

I am sure you never overlooked anything in your reading -- ever.:blush:

@SNGX1275
"according to Google Engineer Adam de Boor, the feature will be enabled for other browsers too as soon as they correctly support the HTML 5 drag-and-drop functionality."

It helps when you pay attention while reading :D
Its cumbersome to read the entire article when most of it doesn't appear on the forum page for the news... I saw html5 and remembered that when I tried a version of IE9 they had a html5 demo page and Opera was able to do those demos... Now there is a possibility it does work in 10.5 but I was on my Powerbook at the time and the latest version of Opera for that is 10.1 since it is a PPC computer and 10.5 is still in beta for PPCs. But that is the browser I used for the IE9 html5 test page so I made a small assumption based on that and that Opera and gMail don't always get along well (buzz in particular).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back