TechSpot

Gmail suffers brief outage, Google Apps users unaffected

By Rick
Apr 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. For those who've been spending their lives in the cloud, it would appear it's time to come back down to Earth -- Gmail briefly went down today. The popular email...

Read the whole story
  2. And downloading a greater than 20 meg application on my brother's android phone since they went to google play (replaces market) is impossible for a long time. Known problem in forums. No angry birds space for him.
  3. Email servers go down all the time. This is nothing new or special.
  4. Two of my Google apps accounts were down today, but my personal gmail.com account was up, so I think it affected some of both types of accounts.
  5. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Sure, guest, email servers go down all the time. But gmail servers do not.
  6. nigel

nigel TS Rookie Posts: 24

According to the Dashboard the outage was for 64 minutes from the time Google accepted a report that the issue existed. Maybe the details need updating in the story
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up.:)

I have updated the story with the apps status message and corrected the unofficial times that were being reported when the story was written.
  8. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

wow you mean ppl couldnt check their gmail for an hour? I guess it didnt destroy the world so everything is ok. Really this isnt much of a news worthy event here.
  9. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Tyger, don't get me wrong, but in case you haven't seen Die Hard 4.0, a single hour of the internet being brought to a standstill can bring the world to its knees. Ok, that's a bit overstated. :p
  10. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

I saw the error and checked back later, big deal. But we could start rumors of moral downfall and debauchery at the Google offices next time, if we get bored waiting for a (gasp!) temporary email server problem to be corrected. Just a thought.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.