TechSpot

Gmail's new chat-style compose tool said to be a time-saver

By Shawn Knight
Oct 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Up until now, referencing an old email while composing a new one in Gmail could be a chore in and of itself. You'd first have to save the current email as a draft, open the old message then reopen the...

Read more

2. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

Its amazing how long it takes for us to think of simple solutions like these

3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I tried it today. It was cool. Seemed like it would be functional in a single frame touch environment.

I'm not sure it takes time to think of it; it takes time to get it to work right, and behave similar on all the platforms. Also there is the nudge from the competition to encourage more interesting solutions to make you stand out.

4. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 762   +252

LOL!!!! You mean restoring features that used to be industry-standard? My God, does everyone get an annual memory wipe these days?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

Perhaps an industry standard as far as a desktop app. But 'webmail' services have never had anything like that that I know of.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

What's with this "You'd first have to save the current email as a draft, open the old message then reopen the draft to pick up where you left off."

hmm; when configured correctly, the REPLY button inserts the existing email into the new reply where one can delete the cruft and add comments where appropriate.

consider: When the only tool in the tool box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

7. Devon_D

Devon_D TS Rookie

Not to sound like a fanboy I really like seeing Google give its users a balance between user experience and security by implementing new features, one of which is the most important, 2FA which allows us to telesign into our accounts. I know some will claim this make things more complicated, but the slight inconvenience each time you log in is worth the confidence of knowing your info is secure. I'm hoping that more companies start to offer this awesome functionality. This should be a prerequisite to any system that wants to promote itself as being secure.

8. RajeGera

RajeGera TS Rookie Posts: 50

Seems to be pretty useful features.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.