GOG celebrates Star Trek Day by adding six classic games to its catalog

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: September 8 is Star Trek Day, and to celebrate 55 years of the science fiction media franchise, GOG has partnered with Activision to bring half a dozen classic Star Trek games from the "golden era" to its platform.

Over on the Star Trek games page, you’ll find six fan favorites including Star Trek: Hidden Evil, Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force, Star Trek: Away Team, Star Trek: Bridge Commander, Star Trek: Starfleet Command III and Star Trek: Elite Force II. Each game is priced at $9.99, and all of them are said to run smoothly on Windows 10 for the first time, although some early reviews of Starfleet Command III seem to suggest otherwise.

They’re all DRM-free, and all but Hidden Evil also support local multiplayer. System requirements shouldn’t be a concern, either, as they’re all nearly 20 years old at this point and can easily run on modern hardware.

Star Trek was conceived by Gene Roddenberry, with the first episode premiering on September 8, 1966, on NBC. The first Star Trek video game came a bit later in 1971 as a text-based title written in BASIC. Upwards of 100 games based on the franchise have since been published across myriad of platforms, not to mention all of the TV series and feature films that have accompanied them over the past 55 years.

GOG has at least two more Star Trek titles in the pipeline that you can add to your wishlist: Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek: Armada II. We don’t yet have launch dates for these games, but they’ll be coming at “a later date.”

Permalink to story.

My way of enjoying it - 4K version of the entire classic Star Trek is in torrents now.

"...all of them are said to run smoothly on Windows 10 for the first time, although some early reviews of Starfleet Command III seem to suggest otherwise."

I used to have the physical copy of Star Wars: Empire at War. The game ran without issues on Windows 7 for me. I hadn't played it for a long while and my brother was interested in it so I lent the game to him.

A while later I find the game for sale dirt cheap on GoG. Says it's supported for Windows 7 and so on and so forth.
I pick up a copy and play. The intro goes fine, no issues, but once I get to the first main plant mission and every mission after the game runs like absolute garbage. At the time I was playing on my i5-4670k (OCed to 4.3) and my 980Ti. I did all sorts of things, removing overclocks, changing installation location for the game, different drivers, but the game ran like crap. After the 30-45 minutes of actual game play and about 3 hours of troubleshooting I had to return the game to GoG. They refunded the game for me.

I'd be hesitant to picking up some of the older games without checking up on the reviews first, just to see if anyone is listing performance issues.

"...all of them are said to run smoothly on Windows 10 for the first time, although some early reviews of Starfleet Command III seem to suggest otherwise."

I used to have the physical copy of Star Wars: Empire at War. The game ran without issues on Windows 7 for me. I hadn't played it for a long while and my brother was interested in it so I lent the game to him.

A while later I find the game for sale dirt cheap on GoG. Says it's supported for Windows 7 and so on and so forth.
I pick up a copy and play. The intro goes fine, no issues, but once I get to the first main plant mission and every mission after the game runs like absolute garbage. At the time I was playing on my i5-4670k (OCed to 4.3) and my 980Ti. I did all sorts of things, removing overclocks, changing installation location for the game, different drivers, but the game ran like crap. After the 30-45 minutes of actual game play and about 3 hours of troubleshooting I had to return the game to GoG. They refunded the game for me.

I'd be hesitant to picking up some of the older games without checking up on the reviews first, just to see if anyone is listing performance issues.

Might be worth trying running it on a virtual machine.

Empire At War has a known problem with running on 64 bit 7 and above. It works properly if you place the game into 98/me comaptibility and launch it with fullscreen optimizations disabled.

your disk was likely version 1.00 or 1.01. The issue was noticed after the 1.03 patch from lucasarts back in the day, and the GoG version is the latest patch from LA due to the inclusion of forces of corruption. The early win7 era machines were not fast enough to cause issues.

Last edited:

My kid played through Empire at War recently from the GOG version on an R5 1600AF and GTX 1660 Super. Win 10. Yours could have been a bad install? We use the downloadable installers, not Galaxy.

Back