GOG getting newer games, wants to rival Steam

Matthew DeCarlo

Good Old Games has earned a stellar reputation for delivering classic video games through a no-fuss, DRM-free digital platform and that recipe is about to get a little sweeter. During the CD Projekt Red Investor's Day conference in Poland today, GOG managing director Guillaume Rambourg revealed its business plans for 2012 and 2013, which includes the addition of not-so-dated games. The company's ultimate goal is to become the number two digital game dealer and as part of that journey, it will seek newer titles.

This will include exclusive release opportunities with certain developers -- though we haven't seen any specific names mentioned. The initiative will kick off next year and Rambourg was quick to note that, unlike GOG's low-priced classics, the service would naturally have to charge more for newer games. Despite that fact, the company said it would remain true to its roots by focusing on completely DRM-free games and flat prices worldwide. And of course, GOG will continue adding the classic games you've come to expect.

GOG has "been profitable since our first month, and the fact that we've come from nowhere to bring over a million classic gamers to our website every month and over six million games downloaded proves that gamers want an alternative to the usual digital distributors," said Rambourg. "We want to continue this growth, and we have a plan for this: more than 400 products in our catalog by the end of 2012, combined with new partners, more franchises, and continued improvements to make GOG.com a better website..."

In a separate development this week, Stardock has announced that its PC games will now be available through Steam. The rollout begins with Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity, which is currently offered through Valve's service for $14.99, a 25% discount. Other games will be added over the coming weeks. As you likely know, Stardock was the founding owner of Impulse, but the distribution platform was recently sold to GameStop. With that conflict of interest out of the way, Stardock is free to sell its games through former rivals.

Permalink to story.

Can't see this going far, even the name is just ... not right...

Guys you using GOG? (woot you mean ****?) xD jks jks

GOG has a great business model. I've purchased many games from them. Hope this new venture goes well for them.

Long live GOG!!
I've purchased at least 20 games from them, and if i had more time on my hand i would have a lot more.

Rage_3k_Moiz said:
I guess they've already started, seeing as they have The Witcher 2 on sale on their website at the moment.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2

Not that I have the time or hardware to play this, but just wanted to see how much it was. While not super cheap, I saw this on the site, which I think is really awesome of them:

"Since the EU price is almost $16 more than the price in USD, we’re giving you a $16 USD credit to spend on GOG.com."

That's a very good marketing move on their part. That whole European markup thing sucks, this would definitely get my business. Steam is Steam, but money is money.

Any DRM system is A-OK in my book. Steam and the rest just don't get it. If I have to jump through hoops or being tied to the internet to report my every move .. no thanks.

Any time is offered on gog.com vs other retailers (such as steam / orgin) I always buy.

I love there no drm policy, and there doing it right, affordable games, no hassle, and as many digital "extras" as they can get there hands on it. Up to 76 games from them.

artix said:
Can't see this going far, even the name is just ... not right...

Guys you using GOG? (woot you mean ****?) xD jks jks

What do you mean? They've been around for years now and they keep growing. Not sure where you've been the past 3 years.

This year alone they released the first 6 Ultimas. They've also release Wing Commander 3 with all the FMV movies that made the game a first of it's kind back then.

The entire premise of GOG is releasing games DRM free and that's what they've done. Plus, once you purchase a game, you can download it as many times as you want from your account or you can back it up to CD/DVD as well.

Rage_3k_Moiz said:
I guess they've already started, seeing as they have The Witcher 2 on sale on their website at the moment.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2

GOG is part of CD Projekt which is who released The Witcher and The Witcher 2. It's where I purchased The Witcher 2 from, even though I could have gotten it from Steam.

There was one issue with The Witcher 2, though. When it was originally release, it had DRM in it, just like the first Witcher. But, just like the first Witcher, after it was released for a few months and enough sales were made, they released a patch that removed it.

Kudos to GOG.

The GOG guys are great. I love how they got many of the classics to run on the latest versions of Windows. I still waiting though for GOG to offer the Mechwarrior games from the Windows 95/98 era since these are games that I have a hard time running even on XP SP3.

Back