TechSpot

GOG getting newer games, wants to rival Steam

By Matthew
Nov 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Good Old Games has earned a stellar reputation for delivering classic video games through a no-fuss, DRM-free digital platform and that recipe is about to get a little sweeter. During…

Read the whole story

2. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

Can't see this going far, even the name is just ... not right...

Guys you using GOG? (woot you mean ****?) xD jks jks

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

I've purchased a few games from them, glad to hear they are doing well and looking to expand.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

GOG has a great business model. I've purchased many games from them. Hope this new venture goes well for them.

5. Long live GOG!!
    I've purchased at least 20 games from them, and if i had more time on my hand i would have a lot more.

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Not that I have the time or hardware to play this, but just wanted to see how much it was. While not super cheap, I saw this on the site, which I think is really awesome of them:

"Since the EU price is almost $16 more than the price in USD, we’re giving you a $16 USD credit to spend on GOG.com."

That's a very good marketing move on their part. That whole European markup thing sucks, this would definitely get my business. Steam is Steam, but money is money.

8. Any DRM system is A-OK in my book. Steam and the rest just don't get it. If I have to jump through hoops or being tied to the internet to report my every move .. no thanks.

9. That was DRM-Free system...lol

10. Any time is offered on gog.com vs other retailers (such as steam / orgin) I always buy.

I love there no drm policy, and there doing it right, affordable games, no hassle, and as many digital "extras" as they can get there hands on it. Up to 76 games from them.

11. isamuelson

isamuelson TS Rookie Posts: 96

What do you mean? They've been around for years now and they keep growing. Not sure where you've been the past 3 years.

This year alone they released the first 6 Ultimas. They've also release Wing Commander 3 with all the FMV movies that made the game a first of it's kind back then.

The entire premise of GOG is releasing games DRM free and that's what they've done. Plus, once you purchase a game, you can download it as many times as you want from your account or you can back it up to CD/DVD as well.

12. isamuelson

isamuelson TS Rookie Posts: 96

GOG is part of CD Projekt which is who released The Witcher and The Witcher 2. It's where I purchased The Witcher 2 from, even though I could have gotten it from Steam.

There was one issue with The Witcher 2, though. When it was originally release, it had DRM in it, just like the first Witcher. But, just like the first Witcher, after it was released for a few months and enough sales were made, they released a patch that removed it.

Kudos to GOG.

13. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

The GOG guys are great. I love how they got many of the classics to run on the latest versions of Windows. I still waiting though for GOG to offer the Mechwarrior games from the Windows 95/98 era since these are games that I have a hard time running even on XP SP3.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.