Gogo partners with Virgin America to offer 60Mbps in-flight Wi-Fi

By Shawn Knight
Sep 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In-flight wireless provider Gogo recently announced a partnership with Virgin America to deliver speedy Internet service at 35,000 feet. The company claims it will be able to offer airline passengers speeds of more than 60Mbps which is faster than most...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

That's..........pretty damn good. God with that, you could game on a flight (so long as there are plugs lol). I really want to fly Virgin Air next time I fly.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Pretty cool, but what's the fee? I really doubt wi-fi will be free on an airplane when it's often not free at the airport. How ironic would that be? People sitting near the windows at the airport so they could leech off the plane's free wifi because the airport was charging for it.

I expect a per kb charge that would end up costing around $10 to watch a 2 hr netflix movie. And that would be a great price... far cheaper than wireless roaming prices.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

I've been advocating exactly this kind of system as a possible rural broadband solution for ages. Its ideal since a dish works anywhere and the upload antennas could use either LTE or something with even higher power - which translates to practical, cost-effective coverage. The latency would be good enough for casual gaming and possibly even competitive MMOs (but probably not hard-core action games).